Zurich snapshot — is the 3.7% movement meaningful?

otis.cove

Buyer
Established
The 26-day marketing period surprised me more than the apparent 3.7% decline. It could indicate willing buyers, but it could just as easily mean sellers cut their prices early.

The Zurich apartments I reviewed were listed at roughly CHF 306,200 to CHF 459,400, although their condition and precise locations were not consistent enough for a confident comparison. Buyer financing requirements may also be filtering demand. I am therefore wary of treating the movement in asking prices as evidence that the whole market has softened.

I plan to check recent completed sales and record the original asking price, timing of any reduction, final price, condition and relevant financing requirements. Withdrawn listings would also help distinguish quick sales from quick price cuts. Is that a better basis than trying to infer buyer behaviour from active listings and ownership costs?
 
I wouldn’t describe that as negotiating the tax itself. Any tax liability is jurisdiction-specific; the negotiable part is the purchase price, potentially adjusted for the buyer’s expected total costs. More importantly, asking-price movement and 26 days of marketing don’t show what buyers finally paid. Recent completed sales would be the stronger comparison.
 
I’m not convinced the 3.7% says much until you tighten the neighbourhood boundaries and separate renovated apartments from properties needing work. Also track withdrawn stock and when price cuts occurred—26 days could mean a quick cut rather than strong demand.

Were all these listings genuinely comparable in size and buyer-financing requirements? I’d build a small table of completed sales, active listings, reductions and withdrawals before drawing a market conclusion.
 
Back
Top