Where are rental deals still cash-flowing after honest expenses - what would you check?

esme.snow

Real estate agent
Established
I keep reaching two plausible conclusions: either Phoenix buyers are putting in far more cash to reduce the monthly outflow, or they are accepting poor income today for a different reason. Neither approach makes me comfortable at the numbers I am seeing.

The townhouses I have modelled are near $500,000, with financing at 4.52%. After allowing for empty periods, management, maintenance and insurance, the result is already below zero; property tax and a tenant change make it worse. For anyone who bought around this level, was the decision based on unusually strong rent evidence, a larger equity contribution, expected appreciation, or something specific to the property? I’m trying to compare real operating cases, including both a normal year and a turnover year, with the option of simply waiting.
 
More equity can make the monthly cash flow look better, but it does not repair weak property-level economics. I’d first confirm that taxes, HOA dues and everything the HOA does not cover are in the model. Also, is 4.52% applied to a realistic loan amount and term? A deal that only works with a very large down payment may simply be a low-return use of cash.
 
What vacancy and turnover assumptions are you using? One vacant month plus cleaning, repairs and leasing costs can matter more than a small difference in the management percentage. I’d run a normal year and a turnover year separately rather than smoothing everything into one attractive average.
 
I wouldn’t automatically reject negative initial cash flow. Someone may reasonably prioritize a particular location, long holding period or lower leverage. The caveat is that this is then a different strategy, not evidence that the townhouse cash-flows honestly today. Appreciation should not be used to hide an operating deficit, especially when financing and insurance can change.
 
Agreed on separating the turnover year, though I’d still keep an annual reserve in the base case so it isn’t forgotten. My next steps would be to obtain an actual insurance quote, verify the current property-tax figure and HOA coverage, then stress the rent, vacancy, maintenance and financing assumptions. If modest changes push every version further negative, waiting is a valid decision—not a failure to find the right spreadsheet assumptions.
 
Back
Top