When should Toronto appreciation outweigh weak cash flow?

openTheKite

Real estate agent
Established
I’m comparing a Toronto detached home with cheaper, higher-yield alternatives. The Toronto property has only a modest current yield, but employment and transport look stronger and I expect it would be easier to sell. The cheaper markets produce more cash now but feel less liquid.

My concern is turning “appreciation potential” into an excuse for weak numbers. I’m considering requiring a minimum cash return before assigning any value to future growth. Would you calculate that threshold after vacancy, management, maintenance reserves, insurance, property tax and financing? If your answer depends on rules outside Canada, please identify the market difference.
 
Yes—set the minimum using net cash flow after all of those items, not headline rent less mortgage. I would also run the property with no appreciation at all. If it still meets your minimum and you can tolerate the cash-flow swings, appreciation is an upside case rather than the reason the deal survives.
 
What does “modest current yield” mean here: positive cash after financing, roughly break-even, or an expected annual contribution from you? Those are very different decisions.

Also, how are you supporting the liquidity assumption? A Toronto address and nearby transport may help demand, but detached homes can have a narrower investor buyer pool if the rent does not support the purchase price.
 
It is expected to remain positive after ordinary operating costs and financing, but the margin becomes thin once I include a proper maintenance reserve and tenant turnover. I have not yet put a management cost into the base case because I could manage it myself.

Adrian’s point on liquidity is fair. I’m treating it as relative to the cheaper-market options, not assuming the home could always be sold quickly. I’ll compare actual holding costs under a longer sale period rather than giving Toronto an automatic liquidity premium.
 
I disagree slightly with excluding management just because you can self-manage. That makes the property’s return depend on free labour. Include a market-based management allowance when comparing properties, then separately note the cash you could retain by doing the work yourself. Otherwise Toronto may appear stronger simply because you have assigned your time no cost.
 
The financing sensitivity may settle this faster than the appreciation debate. Recalculate at renewal with a higher borrowing cost, no rent increase and some vacancy. Then add one unusually expensive maintenance year. If the result requires selling into a good market, the supposed liquidity advantage is doing too much work.

Rules and tax treatment differ by jurisdiction, but that stress test is useful anywhere because it does not depend on forecasting a specific future price.
 
There is also a trade-off in setting a rigid minimum cash return. It protects you from storytelling, but it can eliminate properties where the land, location or tenant demand makes income unusually durable. I’d use two hurdles: a minimum stressed cash result and a maximum proportion of the expected total return that comes from appreciation. No precise appreciation forecast is needed—just test several growth outcomes, including zero.
 
I like the two-hurdle idea, but I would not count “durable demand” until it shows up in conservative vacancy and turnover assumptions. Employment and transport are reasons to investigate demand, not cash-flow entries themselves. Keep those qualitative points in the decision notes while the spreadsheet uses rent, vacancy, costs and financing.
 
A practical comparison sheet could have identical rows for every market: rent, vacancy allowance, management, routine maintenance reserve, larger-item reserve, insurance, property tax, tenant-turnover costs and financing. Add a separate exit scenario with selling time and carrying costs.

Then score employment, transport and market depth separately instead of converting them into invented appreciation. If Toronto clears the stressed cash hurdle and wins the qualitative comparison, the case is coherent. If it only wins after assumed price growth, you have your answer.
 
Back
Top