When should I inspect a new-build 3-bed apartment in Cairo?

If defects are recorded too late, I may end up paying for work that should have been raised with the builder. That is why I am uneasy about relying solely on Cairo municipal approval for this new-build 3-bed apartment, especially where drainage, insulation and finishes are concerned.

My budget probably allows one professional inspection. Should I use it shortly before completion, during the handover, or later while defects can still be reported? I also want the builder to identify the exact energy-performance document provided for the apartment. Examples from completed Cairo purchases would help me plan the sequence of checks and avoid a later argument about repairs.
 
If you can only pay for one, I’d choose shortly before handover, provided the builder allows proper access and there is still time to record defects. Municipal approval and an inspection for your benefit are not necessarily looking at the same details. Ask any inspector for a sample report from a completed Cairo apartment, with client information removed, and confirm whether drainage and insulation are actually within the scope.
 
What does your contract say about access before completion and the length of the defect period? That may decide the timing more than preference. Also ask the builder what they mean by an energy label—whether it is a specific document for this apartment or simply a general statement about the development. Get the answer in writing rather than relying on the sales conversation.
 
The awkward part is that finding a defect can create an immediate cash need rather than solve the problem. Even a good report will not make the builder carry out disputed work quickly.

I would therefore avoid using the whole available budget on the inspection. Leave enough for moving, service charges, the first mortgage payment and urgent repairs; an insurance excess alone could arrive at the wrong moment. The inspection still has value, but only if there is enough cash left to respond to what it finds.
 
A sensible compromise may be a focused handover inspection plus your own follow-up near the end of the defect period. At handover, photograph each room and note meter readings, drainage tests, visible gaps, damaged finishes and anything incomplete. Later, compare that record with problems that appeared during normal use.

I would also delay fitted furniture or other work that covers walls and floors until the initial defects are documented. It becomes much harder to separate an original issue from damage caused during installation.
 
And ask how findings must be submitted. A detailed report is less useful if the builder requires defects in a particular format or within a stated timeline. I’d obtain that process before booking anyone, then make sure the inspection date leaves enough time to send the list.
 
My order would be: read the contract, confirm inspection access, request the apartment-specific energy information, compare two inspection scopes, and preserve a cash buffer. If only one paid visit is possible, handover seems the best balance; use dated photos and written notices afterward. Near the defect-period deadline, do a careful second walk-through yourself and escalate unresolved items using whatever process the contract specifies.
 
Back
Top