Warsaw 4-bed country home: does PLN 7,962 monthly rent justify PLN 1,975,000?

anchor.honest

Real estate agent
Established
What made me hesitate was how quickly the broker’s 4.8% gross figure became unremarkable once I allowed for tenant changes and outside maintenance. The property is a 4-bed country home described as being in Warsaw, priced at PLN 1,975,000, with projected rent of PLN 7,962 a month.

I have pencilled in vacant periods, management, routine upkeep and occasional substantial work, but the insurance cost is still uncertain. Property tax, owner-paid utilities and grounds or access maintenance could also matter more here than for a flat.

Before refining the return, I need to establish whether the rent is supported by comparable completed lettings and exactly where the house sits relative to Warsaw. After that, which ownership cost would you verify first, and what net return would make this worthwhile rather than merely acceptable on the broker’s gross arithmetic?
 
The gross arithmetic works: PLN 7,962 over 12 months is PLN 95,544, or about 4.8% of the purchase price. But there is not much room between that and a mediocre net return. I would obtain an insurance quote before going further, then add property tax and every owner-paid utility or exterior cost rather than estimating them as one miscellaneous percentage.
 
Is this actually within Warsaw or a country-style property outside the denser part of the city? That distinction could affect tenant demand, travel expectations and the cost of maintaining the grounds. Also, is PLN 7,962 supported by comparable rentals, or is it simply the broker’s projection? The rent assumption matters more than fine-tuning a small expense line.
 
I’m less worried about one month of vacancy than about the combination of turnover and a narrow tenant pool. A 4-bed home may attract longer-staying households, but each vacant period could take longer to fill than a standard flat. At a 4.8% gross yield, I would want a strong reason to believe the rent is durable.
 
Build a 12-month cash-flow table rather than applying one expense ratio. Include zero rent during vacancy, management, insurance, property tax, routine work, tenant-change costs and the larger repair reserve. Then stress it twice: rent below PLN 7,962, and a repair occurring during a vacant month. If the deal only works in the base case, the advertised yield is doing the persuading rather than the cash flow.
 
The missing detail for me is who pays heating, water, garden care and any other recurring upkeep. With a country home, the boundary between tenant expenses and owner responsibilities needs to be explicit. I would also verify the actual local property-tax treatment rather than carrying across an assumption from a Warsaw apartment.
 
I partly disagree with emil on vacancy being the central risk. A suitable household could stay for years, while an exterior or building-system repair can arrive regardless of occupancy. I’d run separate sensitivities: one for tenant turnover and one for capital work. Combining both into a generic reserve can hide which assumption is breaking the return.
 
That is fair. Insurance is also worth separating from maintenance. If an actual quote materially changes this deal by itself, it may indicate either that the expected net margin is already very thin or that the property has a coverage issue needing explanation. Either result is useful information before negotiating.
 
Financing could change the conclusion again. Keep the property-level net yield separate from the return on your own cash. Test the loan payment under the rate and terms actually available to you, plus a less favourable renewal or refinancing case if applicable. A property can show positive operating income and still produce uncomfortable monthly cash flow after debt.
 
Before debating the acceptable net yield, I’d ask for evidence behind PLN 7,962. Compare genuinely similar 4-bed homes by location, condition, access and included costs. A small rent overestimate repeated every month can outweigh careful savings on management or insurance. I would also consider how easy this unusual property might be to resell if the rental plan disappoints.
 
My next steps would be: confirm achievable rent, identify exactly which recurring costs remain with the owner, obtain the insurance figure, verify property tax locally, and price management plus tenant turnover. Then model vacancy and a large repair separately. Only after that would I set a required net yield; with just 4.8% gross, I would not accept assumptions that need everything to go right.
 
Back
Top