Valuation check: 50 m² condo in Berlin, asking €1,040,000

radar.round

Market analyst
Established
Market Reporter
I’d like to use the one completed sale as the valuation anchor, but I do not yet know whether its micro-location and features are close enough. The subject property is an average-condition, 2-bed Berlin condo of about 50 m², offered at €1,040,000. That works out to €20,800 per m², so even a modest adjustment has a large effect.

There are three asking-price comparisons as well, but I see those mainly as evidence of seller expectations. The unit has good light and a strong location, while dated finishes and possible building costs count against it. Parking, outdoor space and the confirmed internal area could also distort a simple €/m² comparison.

If the completed unit is nearby and similar in floor, light and amenities, I would build the range around it and deduct a works estimate. If those details differ materially, I would give it much less weight and seek another completed comparable before relying on the figure. A local appraisal will still be needed.
 
I would not apply a broad price-per-metre adjustment until you know how comparable the completed sale really is. For average versus renovated condition, a provisional 5–10% spread might be a reasonable scenario to test, but it should be tied to an actual works budget rather than appearance alone. The biggest missing fact for me is the precise micro-location of that sold unit, followed closely by its floor, light and outdoor space.
 
Was the completed sale in the same building or merely nearby, and how recent was it? Also, does either unit include parking, a balcony or terrace? Those items should be separated rather than buried in the €/m² figure.

I would also confirm the measured internal area and tenure. If any lease term is involved, its remaining length matters; if not, that comparison can be discarded.
 
On the yield point, the service-charge papers could change the picture more than the dated finishes. You need to distinguish costs recoverable from an occupier from those retained by the owner, then look for planned building works or exceptional contributions. A visually acceptable flat can still be expensive to hold if the building has unresolved work.
 
I’m less comfortable than Maria with assigning even a provisional condition percentage here. Light and an exceptional position can outweigh dated finishes, while a poor 2-bed layout in only 50 m² may deserve a discount even after renovation. I’d want the floor plan, measurement basis and room dimensions before treating this as genuinely comparable with other 50 m² units.
 
A practical way to stop the variables getting mixed together is to build three cases around the one completed sale: inferior, equivalent and superior. Adjust separately for exact location, floor/light, usable layout, condition and outdoor space. Keep parking as its own line, and deduct identifiable renovation or building costs in euros rather than applying another vague percentage. Then compare those results with the three asking prices, remembering that asks do not establish value.
 
The completed sale should carry the most weight, but one transaction can also be an outlier. I’d ask the broker for the sale date, final agreed price, condition at sale and whether any parking or outdoor space was included. If those details are unavailable, use a wider valuation range rather than manufacturing precision. At this asking level, the service charges and any pending building expenditure could easily be the facts that determine whether the deal works.
 
Back
Top