Utrecht apartment snapshot: is +1.1% meaningful?

green_glass

Seller
Established
If I treat the apparent 1.1% rise as real when it is only a shift in listing mix, the rest of the comparison will be misleading. The sample covers Utrecht apartments advertised from €312,800 to €469,200, with a median market time near 56 days, but it combines different conditions and possibly neighbourhoods that should not sit together.

I can find asking histories more readily than completed prices, so my next thought is to narrow the boundaries and follow each listing as sold, withdrawn or still active. I also need to define what the lease term refers to. An existing tenancy and a tenure or financing restriction would affect buyers in quite different ways. Does that sound more defensible than trying to interpret the 1.1% immediately?
 
I would not put much weight on +1.1% yet. With a small sample, one renovated apartment or a shift toward a more expensive neighbourhood can create that movement. You also need consistent start and end dates.

On lease length, the answer depends on what the lease relates to and whether it affects financing. That could turn it from a negotiating point into a reason a buyer cannot proceed.
 
What exactly do you mean by lease length: tenure attached to the property, or an existing tenant’s agreement? Buyers would treat those very differently. I’d also tighten the neighbourhood boundaries. “Utrecht apartments” can hide a substantial change in property mix even when the asking-price range stays the same.
 
Completed sales alone will not explain the 56-day figure. Track withdrawn stock too. A listing that disappears may have sold, been withdrawn, or returned later with a different price. If those are silently excluded, both marketing time and apparent price movement can look healthier than they are.
 
I’d split the sample by condition before calculating movement: ready to occupy, cosmetically dated, and requiring substantial work. Then compare recent completed sales only with genuinely similar listings.

New-listing volume matters as well. If few apartments entered the market during one period, +1.1% may reflect selection rather than buyers paying more. Price per square metre could help, but it will not correct for condition, layout or location by itself.
 
Thanks, this confirms that I am compressing too much into one number. By lease length I meant tenure or lease terms attached to the property, not how long a buyer intends to let it. The listings are not always presented consistently enough for me to group them confidently.

I’ll separate condition, narrow the neighbourhood comparison and log withdrawals rather than treating every disappearance as a sale.
 
Seller motivation may explain more than the headline movement. A seller testing the market can sit for 56 days without cutting, while someone needing certainty may reduce early or accept below asking. If possible, record when price cuts happen, not merely whether the final advertised price was lower.
 
I slightly disagree with the idea that buyers either negotiate or move on. There is a third outcome: they investigate first, then adjust the offer once the cost and uncertainty are clearer. But if lenders will not accept the arrangement, negotiation with the seller may be irrelevant. That is why lease details should probably be a separate field rather than folded into condition.
 
Also keep the original listing date when an apartment is relisted. Otherwise a property can appear fresh even though it has already spent weeks on the market. That would drag your observed median below the true exposure time and obscure whether a later price cut actually changed buyer interest.
 
A workable next pass would be: define one fixed period and neighbourhood set, record original and latest asking price, condition, lease information, first listing date, withdrawals and relistings, then add completed prices where you can verify them. Present +1.1% as a sample observation rather than a market conclusion. The gaps themselves—especially missing completed sales and unclear lease terms—are useful findings.
 
Back
Top