I’m considering a 1-bed condo in Sydney. The location appears to have durable tenant demand, but using conservative annual rent of A$13,140 and allowing for reserves, I get a shortfall of about A$266 per month.
I can comfortably cover that, but affordability is not the same as a good investment. At these numbers, the purchase seems to depend on higher rent or appreciation. Would you treat the shortfall as a calculated holding cost, or as a warning that the deal is mainly an appreciation bet? I’m particularly interested in what assumptions tend to matter once you get beyond that first cash-flow figure.
I can comfortably cover that, but affordability is not the same as a good investment. At these numbers, the purchase seems to depend on higher rent or appreciation. Would you treat the shortfall as a calculated holding cost, or as a warning that the deal is mainly an appreciation bet? I’m particularly interested in what assumptions tend to matter once you get beyond that first cash-flow figure.