Sydney 1-bed: would you accept A$266/month negative cash flow?

kai.north

Property investor
I’m considering a 1-bed condo in Sydney. The location appears to have durable tenant demand, but using conservative annual rent of A$13,140 and allowing for reserves, I get a shortfall of about A$266 per month.

I can comfortably cover that, but affordability is not the same as a good investment. At these numbers, the purchase seems to depend on higher rent or appreciation. Would you treat the shortfall as a calculated holding cost, or as a warning that the deal is mainly an appreciation bet? I’m particularly interested in what assumptions tend to matter once you get beyond that first cash-flow figure.
 
On the figures given, it is an appreciation or rent-growth bet. That does not automatically make it a bad purchase, but I would not describe it as a cash-flow investment.

The important test is whether A$266 is genuinely conservative. Run the same calculation with a longer vacancy, an unexpected repair and higher financing costs. If the shortfall becomes uncomfortable under fairly ordinary stress, the starting number is misleadingly tidy.
 
What exactly is included in the reserves? I’d want separate lines for vacancy allowance, management, maintenance, insurance, recurring property charges and tenant turnover. With a condo, I’d also want the building-related costs clearly identified rather than buried in one estimate. A$266 can quickly become a different number if even one recurring item is missing.
 
I disagree slightly that negative cash flow necessarily makes this an appreciation bet. First separate mortgage principal from interest and operating costs. Principal repayment reduces monthly cash but is not the same as money disappearing into an expense.

That said, the property should still survive without optimistic rent increases. I’d compare the true operating result, the total monthly cash required, and the return you could get from keeping the deposit elsewhere.
 
Tenant turnover may be the assumption that changes this most. A$13,140 is only useful if it reflects rent actually collected, not twelve perfect months on paper. Model at least three cases: your current estimate, a vacancy/turnover year, and higher financing plus maintenance costs together. If the purchase only looks acceptable in the first case, I’d pass or seek a lower price.
 
That distinction between cash outflow and actual expense is what I was missing. I’ll rebuild the calculation with principal separated, then itemise vacancy, management, maintenance, insurance, property charges and turnover rather than relying on one reserve figure.

I’ll also test higher financing costs and a weak leasing year at the same time. If the deal still requires both rent growth and appreciation to justify the ongoing contribution, I’ll treat that as speculation rather than letting the manageable A$266 figure persuade me.
 
Back
Top