Short inspection window or waiver on an older Lisbon duplex?

route.awake

Real estate agent
Our agent says the cleanest offer is likely to win, and after missing out on two older Lisbon duplexes I understand the argument. I still cannot justify dropping all inspection protection on a €1,145,000 purchase.

The rooms look well kept, but that says little about ageing electrics, leaks, shared-building work or the strength of the reserves. Would you arrange an inspection before submitting, or keep a tightly timed condition with an inspector already booked?

I’m also trying to set the cash threshold properly. We can delay buying furniture, but an urgent repair or insurance excess would come straight from the emergency fund. I’d be interested in how others balanced that buffer against the pressure to present a simpler offer.
 
I would shorten the window rather than waive it. Before offering, ask for whatever information is available on building finances, service charges and planned works, then see whether an inspector can be lined up provisionally. A narrow structural contingency sounds tidy, but leaks, electrics or shared-building problems can still create immediate costs without being labelled structural.
 
How much cash would remain after the deposit, moving costs and first mortgage payment? That changes the risk calculation. If the purchase would nearly empty your emergency fund, even a modest inspection finding or insurance excess could hurt. Furniture can wait; urgent repairs cannot. I’d decide on a minimum cash buffer before deciding which condition to trim.
 
I’m not convinced a very short window is automatically a useful compromise. It only helps if access and an inspector are realistically available within it; otherwise it is effectively a waiver with better wording.

Before the next offer, I’d make a simple list: inspector availability, documents requested from the seller or building, maximum acceptable immediate-repair cost, and the amount reserved for possible service charges. Then you can shorten the deadline without making the decision under pressure. The exact contractual wording should be checked locally, because a “structural” condition may not cover the issues you are actually worried about.
 
Back
Top