Second opinion on €126,500 renovation budget for 250 m² Rotterdam duplex

HonestHorizon

Architect
Established
I’m considering a 250 m² duplex in Rotterdam at €708,400 and testing a preliminary renovation allowance of €126,500. The scope is kitchen, bathrooms, flooring, paint, electrical checks and moderate energy upgrades, with no extension planned. I’m less worried about finish choices than sequencing and hidden conditions. What contingency would people carry, and which survey or contractor questions would expose the biggest risks before committing?
 
I’d initially reserve 15–20%, but only after separating genuine contingency from items that simply have not been specified. Ask the contractor to list exclusions for electrical replacement, plumbing access, making good after opening walls, moisture repairs, waste removal and temporary protection. “Electrical checks” is especially vague: the budget should state whether it covers inspection only or also remedial work.
 
How old is the building, and are the kitchen and bathrooms staying in their current positions? Moving wet services can change both cost and sequencing, particularly if pipework is concealed or access affects another part of the duplex. I would also want moisture investigation around bathrooms, exterior walls and floors rather than relying only on a general visual survey.
 
I’m not convinced a larger percentage alone solves this. On €126,500, a contingency can disappear quickly if several broad allowances later become defined work. Get room-by-room scope and ask what happens if floors or wall finishes are opened and defects appear. Also confirm whether any proposed energy work or internal alterations need approvals, because permit timing could disrupt the programme even without an extension.
 
Before choosing finishes, map the dependencies: survey and opening-up investigations, final electrical/plumbing scope, any approval questions, then contractor pricing and ordering. Ask for material lead times and the latest decision dates for the kitchen, sanitary items and flooring. I’d compare bids by exclusions and assumptions, not just total price, and keep the contingency outside the contractor’s base scope so it remains available for actual discoveries.
 
Back
Top