São Paulo townhouse: does an 8.5% gross yield survive the costs?

learnTheStone

Real estate agent
Verified Pro
The 8.5% gross yield initially looked stronger than I expected, but it becomes much less convincing once the missing costs are considered. The São Paulo 2-bed townhouse is priced at R$5,096,000, with projected rent of R$36,160 per month.

I am allowing for time without a tenant, management, regular upkeep and occasional major work. I still need the actual property-tax figure, insurance cost and any condominium or shared-maintenance charges, as well as evidence that the quoted rent is achievable rather than aspirational.

If the return remains attractive under lower rent and a turnover gap, I would keep investigating. If it depends on uninterrupted occupancy or changes sharply after financing, the headline yield is not enough. Which cost or assumption would you verify first?
 
The gross arithmetic works: R$36,160 × 12 is R$433,920, or about 8.5% of R$5,096,000. But I would not choose a target net yield until you obtain the actual annual property-tax bill and establish whether there are condominium or shared-maintenance charges. Either could turn a broad allowance into a very specific expense.
 
Is R$36,160 supported by an existing lease, comparable signed rents, or just the broker’s expectation? That missing fact may matter more than fine-tuning maintenance. Test both a lower achieved rent and a gap between tenants. If financing is involved, run the same cases after debt payments rather than relying only on the unlevered yield.
 
I partly disagree that property tax is necessarily the biggest danger. It is at least a bill you can request and place in the model. Turnover is less tidy: vacancy, preparation work and management or letting costs can arrive together. A 2-bed townhouse may look low-maintenance until exterior, roof or security-related work falls entirely to the owner, depending on the property arrangement.
 
I’d build a simple 12-month cash-flow sheet before discussing an acceptable yield: collected rent, vacancy, management, property tax, insurance, any shared charges, routine repairs and the larger reserve. Keep acquisition costs separate but include them when calculating return on total cash committed. Then ask the broker for evidence behind every number rather than accepting a combined estimate.
 
There isn’t a universal net yield that compensates for the risk. Compare this property with what the same capital could earn elsewhere, then decide how much extra return you require for illiquidity, tenant turnover and major repairs. I would run at least three rent-and-vacancy cases and repeat them with a large repair in year one. If the deal only works in the optimistic case, the 8.5% headline is doing too much of the selling.
 
Back
Top