Rio new-build rental: does 5.2% gross leave enough margin?

yuki_north

Property investor
Established
I have checked the purchase price and estimated rent, but the owner-paid outgoings are still too uncertain. This is a three-bedroom new-build flat in Rio de Janeiro priced at R$6,104,000, with expected rent of R$26,450 a month and a gross yield near 5.2%.

That headline return does not leave much room for an optimistic assumption. I still need firm figures for condominium charges, property tax, insurance and management, plus realistic vacancy and maintenance allowances. Are there other recurring or occasional costs that should be shown separately in the cash-flow model? I would also be interested in how others would stress-test the net return before deciding whether this price is justified.
 
The condominium charge is the first figure I’d pin down, including whether any extraordinary building expenses are planned and which costs would remain with the owner. Add property tax and insurance separately rather than hiding them inside a general maintenance percentage.

At only 5.2% gross, I wouldn’t choose a target net yield first. I’d calculate the actual unlevered cash return under normal and bad-year assumptions, then compare that with your alternatives.
 
I partly disagree that building costs are necessarily the main danger. For a higher-priced 3-bed, vacancy and tenant turnover could do more damage than routine maintenance, especially if R$26,450 is an asking estimate rather than evidence from comparable completed rentals.

I’d test a lower rent, a longer empty period, one turnover bill and all owner-paid charges. If financing is involved, rerun those cases at the actual borrowing cost. The key missing fact is how the rent estimate was established.
 
Back
Top