Rental deal in Dublin: €441,600 purchase, €1,597/month — sanity check? [duplex]

studyTheLane

Landlord
I’ve now added a repair reserve to my figures, and it makes the headline return look much less persuasive. The Dublin 2-bed duplex is priced at €441,600, with expected rent of €1,597 a month—the broker presents that as about 4.3% gross.

I’m allowing for empty periods, management and routine upkeep, but I’m unsure which recurring Dublin ownership cost could upset the calculation most. I also need to test the difference between buying with cash and using finance, since a small change in borrowing cost may matter more than a short vacancy. At what net return would this risk begin to look worthwhile to you?
 
The first figure I’d want is the annual service charge, plus exactly what it covers. In a duplex development, common-area maintenance and building insurance can otherwise get missed or counted twice. I’d also ask whether there is any meaningful reserve for larger shared works.
 
€1,597 produces €19,164 a year, so 4.3% is only the starting point before purchase costs and annual outgoings. Vacancy may not be the biggest threat; a modest recurring expense can do more damage over a long hold. Are you assessing this as an all-cash purchase or with financing?
 
Is €1,597 the rent under an existing tenancy, or merely an estimate of what a new tenant might pay? That distinction matters. I would also want the tenancy history and typical turnover, because repainting, small repairs and an empty period can arrive together.
 
I wouldn’t begin by choosing a net-yield target and making the deal fit it. Work out the unlevered annual cash flow first, then compare that return with your alternatives and the work involved. At 4.3% gross, there isn’t much room for modelling errors.
 
Put every item on one annual sheet: service charge, insurance not already included there, property tax, management, maintenance, larger repairs, vacancy and turnover costs. Keep vacancy and turnover separate, but avoid charging the same lost-rent period twice. That should expose whether one assumption is carrying the deal.
 
How have you treated the larger repair reserve? If roofs, exterior work or common systems sit with the development rather than the individual duplex, the risk may appear through service charges or special expenditure rather than your own maintenance bill. Responsibility needs clarifying before the reserve means much.
 
Financing could change the answer completely. Run the actual loan quote through the model, then test a higher financing cost and a vacancy occurring alongside a repair. Separate capital repayment from the property’s operating performance, otherwise the monthly cash-flow figure can be misleading.
 
Agreed. I’d show three outputs: net operating yield before finance, cash flow after finance, and cash return on the buyer’s total money committed. They answer different questions. A property can have a tolerable operating yield while still producing uncomfortable monthly cash flow.
 
One caveat on management: assuming a full management cost is sensible if Elias wants a hands-off investment, but not automatically if the property will be self-managed. Even then, don’t call it free—tenant communication, inspections and arranging repairs still consume time.
 
The denominator also deserves attention. Net yield based only on €441,600 will look better than the return based on the total cash required to acquire and prepare the duplex. I wouldn’t compare it with another investment until both use the same basis.
 
For turnover, model an ordinary year and a changeover year rather than smoothing everything into a tiny annual percentage. The second case should combine lost rent, cleaning or decorating, minor repairs and management or advertising costs where applicable. That reveals the cash lumpiness better.
 
My reaction is that 4.3% gross looks thin because every deduction comes after that. I wouldn’t rely on future price growth to rescue weak cash flow. That doesn’t make it automatically bad, but the building condition and location would need to justify accepting a low current return.
 
I partly disagree with setting a universal minimum net yield. The required return depends on financing, concentration risk, time horizon and what else the buyer could hold. But Leo’s broader point stands: with this starting yield, optimistic rent or maintenance assumptions can decide the entire result.
 
Before revising the spreadsheet again, obtain the actual service-charge amount and coverage, insurance responsibility, recent maintenance history, current tenancy details and the basis for the €1,597 estimate. Those answers are more valuable than adding another decimal place to the vacancy assumption.
 
A useful final stress case would be: no rent increase, one tenant change, a larger repair and higher financing cost in the same period. If the required cash contribution would be uncomfortable, the deal is too fragile regardless of its average projected yield.
 
I’d make the decision in this order: verify rent, identify shared and owner-paid costs, calculate unlevered net yield on total acquisition cash, then layer in the loan and stress cases. If it only works when vacancy is minimal and repairs stay below reserve, the broker’s 4.3% has already told you the margin is too narrow.
 
Back
Top