Rental deal in Bogotá: COP 2,747,000,000 purchase, COP 11,710,000/month — sanity check

isa.reed

Real estate agent
Established
The seller’s price may be reasonable for a 4-bed detached home in Bogotá, but I’m struggling to make the rental return convincing. At COP 2,747,000,000 with expected rent of COP 11,710,000 a month, the gross yield is only about 5.1%.

I have allowed for empty periods, management, ordinary upkeep and a larger-repair reserve. Lease duration and tenant turnover could still move the cash flow considerably. Before going further, I want to test the local property-tax bill, insurance and any security or shared-complex charges. Which of those is most often underestimated, and what net return would make this worthwhile?
 
Start with the actual property-tax bill and a property-specific insurance quote rather than percentages borrowed from another market. At this price, seemingly minor assumptions become meaningful amounts. I would also establish whether the house has any shared-complex or security charges. A 5.1% gross yield does not leave much room for unidentified recurring costs.
 
Is the purchase all-cash or financed? That changes the decision more than the headline yield. I’d also want to know whether COP 11,710,000 is supported by an agreed lease, current comparable listings, or an agent’s estimate, and whether management has been quoted as a percentage of collected rent or as a fixed charge.
 
I’m less convinced that a longer lease is automatically better. It can reduce vacancy and turnover costs, but the value depends on the rent-adjustment terms, tenant quality and each party’s maintenance obligations. Those contract details need a Bogotá property lawyer’s review; modelling “long lease” as one uniformly positive scenario could be misleading.
 
Agreed on separating the contract terms. I’d run at least three cases: continuous occupancy, one vacant month plus reletting costs, and a difficult turnover involving repairs before the next tenant. One empty month alone removes COP 11,710,000 from annual gross rent, before management or maintenance. That makes the rent evidence especially important.
 
Annual gross rent is COP 140,520,000, so the arithmetic behind roughly 5.1% is fine. The issue is that there is no universal acceptable net yield: it depends on financing, alternative uses for the capital and how concentrated this purchase would make you. Personally, I would not rely on appreciation to rescue a weak cash-flow case.
 
For financing sensitivity, keep the property return and debt structure in separate sections. First calculate net operating income without loan payments. Then test the proposed interest cost, repayment schedule and refinancing assumptions. Otherwise a favourable loan can disguise an ordinary property, or expensive borrowing can make a viable rental look inherently poor.
 
For a detached home, the repair reserve deserves more detail than one general allowance. Break out roof and water ingress, exterior work, plumbing, electrical systems, security equipment and any garden or boundary upkeep that falls to the owner. The inspection may find no current defect, but it should still help estimate the timing of larger items.
 
Before deciding, I’d ask for five concrete items: recent evidence supporting the rent, the latest property-tax amount, written insurance terms, any shared or security fees, and an inspection with costed priorities. Then rerun the model with one vacant month, a lower achieved rent and a major repair occurring together. If the net cash flow remains acceptable under that combined case, the discussion about lease length becomes much more useful.
 
Back
Top