Renovation budget for a 205 m² villa in Singapore — second opinion?

KeenInk

Property investor
Established
The items I cannot safely postpone are wiring, leaks and waterproofing; finishes can wait. With that priority, I’m reviewing a preliminary S$197,300 budget for renovating a 205 m², five-bedroom villa in Singapore.

The scope includes the kitchen, bathrooms, floors, painting, electrical checks and some energy-efficiency work, but no extension. I’m concerned that the electrical allowance covers inspection without necessary rewiring, or that access and making good are excluded from the plumbing price.

What would you ring-fence for discoveries behind walls and ceilings? I’d also appreciate suggestions for questions about contractor exclusions, permit lead times and which areas are worth opening before the main contract is signed.
 
I’d separate contingency from optional finishes rather than treating it as one pot. For this scope, I would personally reserve roughly 15–20%, with part available specifically for electrical, plumbing and moisture discoveries.

Ask bidders what they have assumed about concealed wiring, pipe routes, bathroom waterproofing, wall repairs after access, debris removal and testing. An attractive total is meaningless if those items are excluded.
 
That separation helps. The current figure mixes fairly firm visible work with allowances for things we cannot inspect properly until opening ceilings, cabinets or bathroom finishes. I’ll ask for those allowances to be identified instead of buried in the total.

Would you investigate selected areas before signing the main contract, or keep them as provisional sums and open them during demolition?
 
I would do limited investigation first where the result could change the whole sequence. Plumbing access behind fitted areas and signs of moisture are obvious candidates. But opening everything in advance can create damage without resolving much.

For the rest, use clearly defined provisional amounts and require written prices before additional work proceeds. Also ask what happens if supposedly non-structural removal reveals structural support or deterioration.
 
I’m less comfortable with choosing a contingency percentage before the access question is answered. A larger reserve does not fix a vague scope.

Have the wet areas mapped: where supply and waste lines can actually be reached, whether floors or walls must be disturbed, and who reinstates them. Moisture staining should also be traced to its cause rather than simply painted over. Those answers may justify 15–20%, or show that it is still too little.
 
Agreed that the investigation matters more than the percentage, though I would still protect cash outside the contract. The sequence I’d request is investigation and isolation work, then electrical/plumbing corrections, wet-area work, flooring, cabinetry and finally paint and other cosmetics.

That reduces the chance of new finishes being opened again. Ask each contractor to state which rooms become unusable at each stage and whether work can continue while long-lead materials are pending.
 
Get an exclusions list that is as detailed as the scope: permits or submissions if required, protection of retained surfaces, temporary services, access equipment, disposal, making good, final testing and defects after completion. Also ask which material selections must be confirmed early and what substitute process applies if delivery timing slips.

Permit timing should be discussed before the programme is accepted, but the relevant requirements depend on the exact work and property.
 
A practical next step would be to turn the S$197,300 into three columns: fixed-price work, provisional work and deferrable cosmetic work. Then attach an assumption to every provisional item—access route, quantity, included reinstatement and decision deadline.

Before appointment, walk the villa with the shortlisted contractors using the same questions. Differences in their assumptions will probably reveal more risk than differences in their headline prices. Keep the contingency under the owner’s control rather than presenting it as money available to spend.
 
Back
Top