Oslo small multifamily listings: is 19 days a signal yet?

AmberPost

First-time buyer
Established
It would be easy to dismiss this as differences between individual buildings, but I’m not quite comfortable doing that yet. In March 2025 I followed Oslo small multifamily listings between NOK 2,525,000 and NOK 3,788,000, and the typical advertised period in this group is about 19 days.

Condition appears to divide the sample: finished homes attract buyers sooner, whereas dated ones are more likely to remain available or be repriced. That may reflect renovation financing rather than a broad shift, though 19 days could still be an early warning if withdrawals are rising.

I’m planning to check completed sales against original asking prices, then separate genuine sales from withdrawn or relisted stock. Would that be enough to judge the pattern, or is the sample still too young?
 
Nineteen days alone sounds too thin to call a market change. I’d separate listings that sold, remain available and disappeared without a sale. If withdrawn stock is counted as merely “gone,” the market can look healthier than it is. Completed prices relative to the original asking prices would tell you more than the average marketing period.
 
Nineteen days means little unless every listing is measured from the same starting point. A relisted property can look fresh even after an earlier campaign and reduction.

I’d first divide the sample into tightly defined neighbourhoods and compare only similar-condition buildings. If the split remains, then look at financing and buyer appetite; if it disappears, the result was probably created by mixing different locations and listing histories.
 
That said, I wouldn’t dismiss financing as just property-level noise. Buyers who can comfortably fund both the purchase and renovation may be a smaller group than buyers seeking a finished home with more predictable costs. Two otherwise comparable properties could therefore have very different demand even before neighbourhood differences enter the picture.
 
I partly disagree with reading fast renovated sales as evidence of stronger demand. Renovated homes may simply be priced more realistically, while sellers of dated properties initially anchor too high and cut later. Compare the first price cut by day on market. If reductions repeatedly begin around the same point, that says something about seller expectations rather than only buyer financing.
 
A useful next step would be a simple row for each property: neighbourhood, condition, original price, latest price, first reduction date, current status and completed sale price where available. Add new listings each week rather than looking only at the stock already advertised. That should reveal whether 19 days reflects faster sales, a burst of fresh supply, or older listings being withdrawn.
 
Seller motivation is the other missing piece. A vacant property or a seller facing a fixed move date may be reduced quickly, whereas another owner can wait. With such a narrow price band, a few motivated sellers could distort the impression.

I’d keep tracking through the next batch of completed sales and report the median alongside the range. If the condition split survives tighter neighbourhood grouping and withdrawals are recorded separately, then the early-change argument becomes more convincing.
 
Back
Top