Offering 8% below asking on a San Francisco duplex — sensible or too aggressive?

ezra_keys

First-time buyer
The agent’s position is that another buyer may drop the contingencies, but I am not comfortable matching an unnamed offer by surrendering protections. The four-bedroom San Francisco duplex is listed at $985,000, has been available for 29 days and needs updating. I am considering opening at $906,200, an 8% reduction.

There are comparable listings nearby, but not enough confirmed sales for me to treat the asking price as established. My financing is straightforward and I can offer flexibility on completion. Would you support the figure with the property’s condition and limited sale evidence, while keeping the explanation brief?

My preference is to retain inspection, financing and appraisal conditions, with the deposit exposure clearly stated if one of those fails. I am also leaning toward waiting for the inspection before requesting repair credits, unless the seller wants a conditional structure from the start.
 
Submit the number without writing an essay about everything wrong with the property. A short rationale is enough: 29 days available, updating required, and limited completed-sale evidence supporting the asking price. Include financing proof, your preferred closing range and a clear response deadline. That makes it a serious offer rather than a fishing expedition.
 
One missing fact: is either unit occupied, and what information has been provided about that arrangement? For a duplex, that could matter more to your decision than cosmetic updating. I would want the inspection to cover both units and the shared systems rather than accepting a broad waiver because an unnamed competing buyer supposedly will.
 
I would not ask for a repair credit in the opening offer if the 8% reduction already reflects visible updating. That risks making the seller think you intend to negotiate the price twice. Preserve the inspection contingency, then limit any later request to significant issues that were not reasonably apparent when you offered.
 
I disagree slightly on keeping the rationale too spare. At $906,200, the seller may dismiss it unless the offer distinguishes dated finishes from genuine unknowns. Attach the strongest completed comparables you can verify and explain the adjustments briefly. Asking prices do not establish value. Also decide before offering how much, if any, appraisal gap you could absorb; clean financing does not remove appraisal risk.
 
The response deadline should be firm but not theatrical—long enough for the seller to consider the terms, not an attempt to manufacture urgency. Have your agent ask what the seller values besides price: timing, certainty, or flexibility. If motivation is weak, 8% below may simply get a rejection. If the seller wants a dependable completion, your flexibility has real negotiating value.
 
Also read the deposit and contingency language carefully before signing. Waiving financing, appraisal or inspection can change when your deposit is exposed if the loan, valuation or property condition causes trouble, and the exact effect depends on the contract and jurisdiction. My practical order would be: verify completed sales, clarify occupancy, confirm financing proof, set your appraisal-gap ceiling, keep inspection protection, then submit once without chasing the agent’s hypothetical buyer.
 
Back
Top