Offering 8% below asking on a Manila villa — sensible or too aggressive?

PracticalWay

Property investor
The lack of completed comparables is the main weakness in my pricing case. I’m looking at a Manila villa listed for PHP 26,100,000 that needs updating, but it has only been on the market for 10 days, so there is little reason to assume the seller is under pressure.

I’m considering PHP 24,012,000 as an opening offer, which is 8% under the asking price. I could include evidence of financing, accommodate the seller’s preferred completion timing and set a clear response deadline. Would a brief reference to the condition and limited sales evidence be enough, or is there another fact I should establish first?

The agent has also mentioned a competing buyer dropping conditions, without saying which ones. I’m not prepared to take on inspection, lending or valuation risk just to make the offer look cleaner, particularly if an appraisal gap could be the real issue.
 
An 8% opening is defensible, but keep the explanation short. State that the price reflects the available comparables and anticipated updating, attach financing evidence, and emphasise the flexible completion date. Include a defined, reasonable response deadline. I would retain inspection and finance/appraisal conditions; an attractive offer is not necessarily one that transfers every risk to the buyer.
 
What exactly does the agent claim the other buyer will waive: inspection, financing, appraisal, or all conditions? That distinction matters. Also ask what the seller values besides price and whether there is any preferred completion timing. After only 10 days, you cannot assume seller urgency, so I would expect a counter rather than immediate acceptance.
 
I would not send a long list pricing every dated finish. Those numbers can look like deductions for personal taste, particularly when your evidence consists mainly of asking prices. Make a clean market-based offer and save repair discussions for defects found during inspection. The strongest non-price point may be your flexibility if it solves an actual problem for the seller.
 
Proof of financing helps, but clarify what it proves. Approval of the borrower does not settle the lender’s valuation of this particular villa. I would also pay close attention to when the deposit becomes exposed. The offer should make clear what happens to it if inspection, financing, appraisal or the required property documents are not satisfactory, using wording appropriate for the Philippines.
 
The appraisal gap is the part I would decide before submitting anything. If you offer PHP 24,012,000 and the appraisal is lower, will you add cash, renegotiate, or walk away? Do not leave that decision to the pressure of a deadline. A financing contingency should address the actual amount and terms you need, not merely whether some loan is available.
 
Agreed on deciding that limit now. I would offer roughly PHP 24 million rather than dress the number up as false precision, invite a counter, and give the seller a reasonable expiry. A very short deadline after only 10 days could undermine the otherwise cooperative message. The agent’s vague warning is not a reason to bid against yourself.
 
One caveat to that approach: if the offer explicitly says the lower price already reflects visible updating, do not later seek credits for those same cosmetic items. That will feel like a second reduction. Reserve any credit request for material issues that were not reasonably apparent before inspection, and be prepared either to accept them, renegotiate once, or withdraw under the agreed condition.
 
That is fair. I would also ask the agent to put the seller’s priorities in practical terms: preferred completion window, included items, and whether price or certainty matters most. They may not disclose another offer, and you do not need to challenge the claim. Just state that your protections remain. If another buyer genuinely accepts more risk, losing this one may be the correct outcome.
 
A concise structure could be: PHP 24 million, financing evidence attached, flexible completion within the seller’s preferred range, inspection plus financing/appraisal protection, and clear deposit treatment during those conditions. Add a sensible expiry and avoid an emotional justification. Have the final wording reviewed locally, especially the document, title and deposit provisions, because the labels alone do not determine your exposure.
 
Before sending it, write down three separate numbers: the opening offer, the maximum price you would pay if they counter, and the maximum appraisal shortfall you could cover. The 8% figure matters less than those limits. With only 10 days on the market, a rejection or firm counter is plausible; that does not make the opening unreasonable.
 
Back
Top