Offering 8% below asking on a detached home in Zurich — sensible or too aggressive?

otis.cove

Buyer
Established
The 88 days on the market caught my attention, but the lack of reliable completed comparables makes me wary of reading too much into it. The detached home is listed at CHF 250,800, and its dated condition suggests some expenditure after purchase.

I am considering opening 8% lower, with proof of financing and flexibility over completion. Would you explain that figure mainly through the market evidence and condition, then leave any repair credit until after inspection? I also want to retain the financing and inspection conditions and give the seller a reasonable response deadline. Does that sound firm without making the offer needlessly confrontational?
 
I’d make the offer factual and brief: time available, updating required, limited completed-sale evidence, financing proof and flexible completion. Don’t describe the property negatively or submit a long renovation wish list. An 8% opening is defensible if you are prepared for a counteroffer.
 
The condition is the deciding point here. Old decoration is mostly a matter of taste, whereas an ageing roof or signs of moisture could justify both a lower figure and a firm inspection condition.

I would also check whether the CHF 250,800 price has already been reduced during those 88 days. If it has, the seller may view another 8% drop very differently. Has the agent said anything about previous interest or the reason for the sale?
 
Good distinction. Cosmetic work supports buyer preference more than a price deduction; uncertain major work supports keeping an inspection condition. I would not assign repair figures before obtaining evidence, because exaggerated estimates are an easy reason for the seller to dismiss the whole offer.
 
Give the offer a clear but reasonable response deadline rather than leaving it open indefinitely. Avoid a same-day ultimatum. The purpose is to stop your offer drifting while you continue looking, not to manufacture pressure.
 
I disagree that 88 days necessarily strengthens the discount much. The seller may simply be patient, particularly if comparable asking prices are close. Lead with what you can perform—funding and timing—and treat the days available as background rather than proof that the asking price is wrong.
 
Yes, financing proof is probably more persuasive than another paragraph about market time. It can make the offer look executable while you still retain a properly drafted financing condition. “Clean” should mean organised and uncomplicated, not that the buyer absorbs every risk.
 
The appraisal gap deserves separate thought. Financing proof shows capacity or preliminary lender interest; it does not guarantee the property will support the agreed price. Decide in advance how much gap, if any, you could cover. Before exposing a deposit, have the Swiss transaction wording and release conditions explained locally.
 
That is one contingency I would not blur. State the financing condition clearly rather than promising to cover an unknown valuation shortfall. If the seller demands certainty, you can offer prompt paperwork and flexible completion instead of unlimited appraisal-gap exposure.
 
I also wouldn’t request repair credits in the opening offer when there has been no inspection. Offer based on the visible condition, then reserve renegotiation for material findings. Asking for 8% off and speculative credits simultaneously could make the opening feel less serious.
 
Can the selling agent provide the completed transactions used to support the asking price, rather than just current listings? If not, ask your lender what valuation information it can consider. Active listings tell you what sellers hope to receive, not whether buyers accepted those figures.
 
Set your walk-away figure before submitting anything. Otherwise an 8% opening can become a sequence of small concessions until you are effectively at asking, still carrying updating costs and weaker protections.
 
The 8% difference is CHF 20,064. Frame it as one overall pricing judgment, not as a pile of invented deductions for paint, flooring and inconvenience. If later evidence shows substantial work, that can support a separate discussion.
 
Seller motivation may determine the useful terms. Ask whether certainty, speed or a particular completion date matters more than the last francs. Flexibility only has value if it solves the seller’s actual problem.
 
There is still a risk that 8% feels aggressive when the available comparables are close. If you would happily pay more, leave room for a counter but make the first figure genuine. A token low offer followed immediately by a large increase weakens the rationale you just presented.
 
I’d submit a simple package: price, financing evidence, proposed completion flexibility, inspection and financing conditions, deposit terms, and an expiry. Keep repair credits out for now. Then list privately which protections are non-negotiable and what price movement you could accept.
 
Putting the thread together, the strongest version is not “88 days means 8% off.” It is: this is the buyer’s valuation given the updating and limited completed-sale evidence, backed by credible financing and accommodating timing. Keep inspection, financing, appraisal-gap limits and deposit exposure explicit, then let the seller counter.
 
Back
Top