Offering 3% below asking on a coastal home in Bangkok — sensible or too aggressive at THB 42,840,000

path.slow

Buyer
Established
The Bangkok coastal home has been listed for 48 days at THB 42,840,000, and its condition is my main concern. Similar nearby properties are advertised around that level, although the completed comparables are too limited to show where agreements are being reached.

I’m considering opening 3% lower, at THB 41,554,800, supported by financing evidence and flexibility over completion. Would you frame that around the uncertain comparables and likely updating costs, or wait until an inspection provides firmer repair figures? I want the offer to be credible without giving up inspection, financing or appraisal protection and putting the deposit at unnecessary risk.
 
Three percent does not sound inherently aggressive after 48 days. Keep the rationale short: uncertainty around completed comparables, the property’s current condition, and your ability to proceed with documented financing and flexible timing. Avoid presenting a long list of defects before inspection.

Give the offer a clear but reasonable response deadline. I would retain inspection and financing protections, including wording that addresses a low appraisal.
 
What does “needs updating” mean here—cosmetic finishes, or items that could affect cost and insurability? That changes whether THB 41,554,800 is simply a negotiating position or already generous.

I’d also ask whether the price has changed during those 48 days and whether the seller has a preferred completion date. Seller motivation may tell you more than nearby asking prices.
 
I slightly disagree with tying the initial discount too closely to the updating. Unless you already have reliable cost estimates, the seller can dismiss that argument as taste. The lack of completed comparables is the stronger point.

Make the offer on current information, inspect properly, then request a repair credit only for material findings—not cosmetic preferences. Any deposit-release and contingency language should be checked for the specific Thai contract rather than assumed from practice elsewhere.
 
“Clean financing” should mean organised paperwork, not accepting an unlimited appraisal gap. Decide in advance whether you would cover any shortfall between the lender’s valuation and the contract price, and if so, cap your exposure in the offer.

The same applies to the deposit: confirm exactly when it becomes non-refundable and what happens if financing, valuation or inspection conditions are not satisfied.
 
Jin’s questions about the work and the seller’s timing are worth answering before submission if possible. I’d structure it as price first, proof of funds or financing readiness second, flexible completion third, then a concise list of conditions.

If the seller counters near asking, do not immediately split the difference. Ask for the inspection access and relevant property information, then decide whether price, repair credits or timing gives you the best trade-off.
 
Back
Top