Offering 13% below asking on a Warsaw duplex — sensible or too aggressive?

anchor.honest

Real estate agent
Established
One argument says the condition supports opening 13% below asking. The other says that, without solid completed comparables, the figure risks looking arbitrary.

The four-bedroom Warsaw duplex is listed at PLN 5,648,000 and has been available for 62 days. I can show that financing is in place and offer a completion schedule that works for the seller, while retaining inspection, appraisal and financing protections.

Would you make the lower offer now with a short explanation based on condition, or wait for better sales evidence? My inclination is not to request a repair credit in advance; I would raise one only if the inspection identifies substantial work. The remaining question is how much deposit exposure is sensible before those checks are complete.
 
A 13% reduction is defensible as an opening position, but present it as a figure based on condition and uncertainty rather than a verdict on the property. Keep the explanation short: limited evidence from completed comparables, updating required, and your ability to proceed with financing proof and a completion date that suits the seller. A long list of defects can sound combative.
 
One important distinction: is 13% below asking your genuine walk-away level or merely an anchor? If it is only an anchor, decide in advance how far you will move and in what increments. Also ask what the seller values besides price. After 62 days, flexibility or certainty may matter—but time listed alone does not establish motivation. Give the offer a clear, reasonable response deadline rather than leaving it open indefinitely.
 
I would be more cautious about assuming the offer is automatically sensible. If the comparable asking prices are close and the updating is obvious, the seller may believe the condition is already reflected in PLN 5,648,000. Without completed sales, 13% can look arbitrary. I’d ask the agent what evidence supports the asking price and whether earlier offers failed before deciding how firmly to defend that discount.
 
Do not trade away inspection protection just to make the low price more attractive. Keep the offer subject to satisfactory technical inspection, financing and appraisal, plus the usual property-document review appropriate in Poland. The exact wording and treatment of any deposit need local advice, especially what happens if finance or appraisal fails.

For repairs, avoid demanding a price reduction now and then automatically seeking credits for every visible item later. Reserve that discussion for significant issues the inspection reveals but that were not apparent when you offered.
 
The appraisal gap is the part I would plan before submitting anything. Financing proof shows you can proceed, but it does not answer whether you can cover a valuation below the agreed price. Set your maximum cash exposure—including the deposit—and do not waive the financing or appraisal condition unless you can absorb that gap.

A concise offer would state the price, proof of funds or financing readiness, flexible completion, key contingencies and expiry. Let certainty be the sweetener rather than weakening your protections.
 
Back
Top