Offering 11% below asking on a London retail unit at £713,700

makeTheCanvas

Property investor
Established
I have checked the local asking stock and the unit’s 44 days on the market, but completed evidence is still thin. The London retail unit is listed at £713,700 and visibly requires some updating. Similar advertisements help with context, though they do not show where comparable transactions have closed.

My proposed opening is about £635,200, which is 11% under the listing price. I can provide financing evidence and accommodate the seller’s preferred timing, but I am unsure how much explanation to attach when the sales evidence is limited. Would a short note covering the available comparables and visible work be enough, or would the size of the discount require more detail?

I do not want the lower price to be offset by avoidable deposit exposure. Inspection, finance and lender valuation protections remain important, and I would rather address genuine defects through later repair credits than promise extra cash for an unknown valuation gap.
 
Present it as a supported offer, not a verdict on what the unit is “really worth.” Give the agent the completed comparables you can find, identify the updating costs in broad terms, provide credible financing evidence and emphasise your flexibility on timing. Add a clear but reasonable response deadline.

I would not waive inspection, lender valuation or finance protection. The exact contractual wording and deposit exposure should be settled with your solicitor.
 
The missing fact is seller motivation. Has the agent said whether the owner needs a quick completion, has another deal lined up, or is simply testing the market? Forty-four days alone doesn’t prove pressure.

Also, are your comparables genuinely similar in tenure, condition and occupancy status? Asking prices can help frame the conversation, but completed transactions are much more useful for defending an 11% gap.
 
No clear explanation of the seller’s motivation yet, so I’ll ask the agent directly rather than treating 44 days as leverage. I’ll also narrow the comparable set before submitting anything.

The suggestion to keep the tone factual is useful. I can show the financing position and offer completion flexibility, but I won’t trade away the inspection or valuation protection. I’ll have the solicitor clarify when any deposit becomes exposed.
 
I’d be cautious about attaching a long argument to the offer. With nearby asking prices close to £713,700 and limited completed evidence, a detailed justification could look as though you are trying to manufacture certainty that isn’t there.

An 11% opening isn’t automatically insulting, but 44 days is not necessarily enough to make the seller receptive. State the figure, the principal reasons and your clean terms, then let the agent test it.
 
Decide now how you will handle repairs after inspection. If the opening discount already assumes visible updating, asking for credits for those same items later may weaken your position. Reserve any further request for material issues that were not reasonably apparent.

Do the same exercise for a lender valuation shortfall: set the maximum extra cash you would contribute, if any, and the price at which you walk away. That prevents the appraisal gap from becoming an emotional decision.
 
Before the offer deadline, decide two numbers: your price ceiling and the most extra cash, if any, you could provide after a low lender valuation. That makes the trade-off clear before the seller responds.

Then ask the agent about motivation, use whatever completed evidence is genuinely comparable, and distinguish visible updating from defects that only an inspection could reveal. Send the figure in writing with financing proof, workable completion dates, a response time and your protections stated plainly.

A rejection without a counter suggests the seller’s expectations are still far apart. If they counter, keep the price discussion separate from repair credits, and reserve those credits for material issues that were not already reflected in the opening discount. There is no reason to turn a price negotiation into open-ended deposit risk.
 
Back
Top