I am hearing two plausible approaches. One is to concentrate on cash due at closing; the other is to settle the ownership and longer-term tax questions first. For a detached New York home priced at about $990,000, I suspect the second approach could alter the first.
The preliminary estimate groups transfer, registration and legal or notary items together, so I have asked for a written breakdown. My next step is to give the local lawyer and tax adviser the same facts about the exact municipality, residency and proposed owner. What else should they address separately, particularly annual property charges, adjustments payable at completion, treatment on a future sale and inheritance planning?
The preliminary estimate groups transfer, registration and legal or notary items together, so I have asked for a written breakdown. My next step is to give the local lawyer and tax adviser the same facts about the exact municipality, residency and proposed owner. What else should they address separately, particularly annual property charges, adjustments payable at completion, treatment on a future sale and inheritance planning?