New York purchase: legal and tax costs missing from a $990,000 estimate

woodworksAndWorkshop

Buyer
Established
I am hearing two plausible approaches. One is to concentrate on cash due at closing; the other is to settle the ownership and longer-term tax questions first. For a detached New York home priced at about $990,000, I suspect the second approach could alter the first.

The preliminary estimate groups transfer, registration and legal or notary items together, so I have asked for a written breakdown. My next step is to give the local lawyer and tax adviser the same facts about the exact municipality, residency and proposed owner. What else should they address separately, particularly annual property charges, adjustments payable at completion, treatment on a future sale and inheritance planning?
 
First clarify whether “New York” means the state generally or a particular city and municipality, because the property’s exact location matters. I would also ask who is expected to pay each transfer-related item rather than accepting one combined figure.

Have them separate one-time closing charges from recurring property charges, then compare the proposed ownership structure against your residency and inheritance plans. Capital-gains treatment is mainly a future-sale issue, but it is worth discussing before the title is registered.
 
I would not separate annual charges too rigidly from the closing calculation. Even when a charge is recurring, an adjustment or advance payment can affect the cash required at completion.

Ask for each line to show the recipient, calculation basis, payment date, and whether it is estimated or fixed. Also have the lawyer and tax adviser confirm that they are discussing the same buyer, ownership structure, and residency assumptions; otherwise two individually reasonable estimates may not be comparable.
 
Back
Top