Nairobi retail unit: cut 2.8% after 81 days or clarify reserves first?

sanna_titles

Homeowner
A decision on the 2.8% reduction is approaching, but the evidence is not ready for it. After 81 days, cutting may be reasonable—or it may simply compensate for a comparison set that mixes unlike properties.

The Nairobi retail units I have gathered range from KES 130,500,000 to KES 195,800,000, with major differences in condition. I also combined active, withdrawn and apparently completed listings, so the marketing-time figure may be misleading. Conflicting seasonal explanations from agents have not resolved that.

My next step is to confirm recent completed sales, tighten the location and condition filters, and record when genuine price reductions occurred. I will then look at reserves building by building. Buyers may not price weak reserves as a tidy discount; they may decide the uncertainty is not worth taking on at all.
 
Before cutting, separate completed sales from withdrawn listings. Withdrawn stock can make 81 days look like normal marketing time when some properties never found a buyer.

On reserves, I suspect the strongest buyers will not always negotiate that weakness as a neat line-item discount; they may treat it as uncertainty and choose another building. Are your comparisons within the same neighbourhood boundaries, and are the units similar in condition and occupancy?
 
That exposes a weakness in my sample: the neighbourhood and condition filters need tightening before I rely on the median. I also mixed active and no-longer-advertised stock without confirming which listings actually completed.

I’ll split out completed sales, withdrawals and current listings, then compare when price cuts occurred. The reserve question may be better tested building by building rather than across Nairobi generally.
 
I would not assume reserves explain the price movement. Seller motivation and buyer financing could matter more, especially at KES 130.5m–195.8m. A motivated seller cutting after 81 days is different from several otherwise comparable units being reduced at the same point.

Also, a 2.8% adjustment may improve positioning without solving anything if the unit’s condition or building costs are the real objection. Ask agents what objections were actually recorded, not just why they think the market is slow.
 
I’d make a simple comparison sheet: same micro-area, similar retail use and condition, original price, latest price, days advertised, completed/withdrawn status, financing where known, and reserve information available to buyers. That should show whether cuts cluster around day 81 or whether your median is masking very different cases.

If reserve details are unclear, clarify them before reducing. Otherwise you will not know whether the 2.8% cut changed buyer interest or merely accompanied better information.
 
Back
Top