Miami 5-bed at $315,000 and $1,545 rent: costs I may be missing

nia.hope

Property manager
The margin for error looks too small to rely on the headline yield. This Miami 5-bed coastal home is priced at $315,000 and is expected to rent for $1,545 a month, which works out to roughly 5.9% gross.

I have modelled eleven paid months, management, ordinary repairs and some larger-work provision, but I am not convinced the buffer is sufficient. Insurance, property tax and any service charges could change the result quickly. Financing would add another sensitivity: acceptable debt terms might leave a modest surplus, while a higher payment could push monthly cash flow below zero.

My next step is to verify that the $1,545 figure is supported by comparable leases and obtain firm insurance and tax estimates. If those hold, I can judge the return after reserves; if they do not, the gross yield is irrelevant.
 
Eleven months produces $16,995 before any expenses, so there is not much room between the headline yield and disappointing cash flow. I would focus first on insurance and property tax, then clarify exactly what the service charge includes. If those three items are uncertain, the 5.9% figure is not yet useful. Personally, I would want a clearly positive unlevered return after reserves, not one dependent on perfect occupancy.
 
Is $1,545 the rent for the entire 5-bed home, and is it supported by comparable leases rather than a listing estimate? That is the missing fact for me. Also, are you buying with cash or financing? Debt terms do not change the property’s operating yield, but they could turn a thin surplus into negative monthly cash flow.
 
I’d be careful about treating one month’s rent as both the vacancy allowance and protection against turnover. A tenant change can combine lost rent with cleaning, repairs and leasing costs. For a coastal Miami property, I would also obtain an insurance quote for this specific address rather than applying a broad percentage. Coverage cost and deductibles may matter as much as the routine repair reserve.
 
Financing sensitivity matters to the buyer, but I would not use it to decide whether the underlying rental is good. Start with the $16,995 collected-rent assumption, subtract property-level expenses and a realistic capital reserve, and calculate the unlevered net yield. Only then add the proposed loan. Otherwise cheap or expensive debt can disguise what is fundamentally a low-margin property.
 
The five bedrooms deserve attention too. More rooms can mean more doors, fixtures and plumbing points to maintain, even if the building is currently sound. It may also affect the likely tenant profile and turnover pattern. I’d ask how the $1,545 estimate was reached and whether it assumes one household, separate occupants or any unusual lease arrangement.
 
I would not name a minimum net yield until the service charge is known. If it covers meaningful costs, the fee may be less damaging than it first appears; if it sits on top of insurance, exterior maintenance and reserves, the deal could be very thin. The useful comparison is net operating income divided by $315,000, with financing shown separately and no appreciation assumed.
 
Before deciding, get three address-specific inputs: an insurance quotation, a property-tax estimate reflecting the purchase, and the current service charge with a clear list of what it covers. Then test the rent against comparable 5-bed homes and run a turnover year as well as the normal eleven-month case. If the deal only works with $1,545 every month and no major repair, the headline 5.9% is not enough compensation for the uncertainty.
 
Back
Top