Johannesburg retail unit: is 2% below asking a sensible opening?

eden.north

Property investor
Offering 2% under the price now feels cleaner, but waiting to request repair credits could tie the reduction to actual defects; neither option is comfortable without reliable completed comparables. The Johannesburg retail unit is listed at ZAR 20,200,000, has been on the market for 17 days and requires updating.

Would ZAR 19,796,000 be a sensible opening if it is supported by proof of finance and reasonable flexibility over completion? Nearby listings are in a similar range, though they do not show what buyers ultimately paid. I also need the agent to clarify what another buyer supposedly intends to waive. If that means inspection, finance or valuation protection, I would rather keep the condition and accept that the seller may reject the discount. Which protections would you retain, particularly if an appraisal gap appears?
 
Two percent is only ZAR 404,000 here, so an offer of ZAR 19,796,000 does not strike me as aggressive. Keep the explanation short: updating costs, uncertain completed comparables, credible financing and flexible timing. Give the seller a clear response deadline, but not an artificially tiny one. I would retain inspection protection and any finance or valuation condition your funding genuinely requires.
 
Is the unit vacant or tenanted, and what rent and operating costs support the yield? Those details matter more than nearby asking prices. Also ask the agent to state precisely what “it” is before discussing any waiver.
 
I’d be cautious about reading much into 17 days; that is not necessarily evidence that the seller is under pressure. Priya’s price may still be sensible, but I would not dress it up as a market conclusion when completed sales are thin.

Inspection findings could justify a repair credit later, although the seller may prefer price certainty now. If valuation creates an appraisal gap, decide in advance how much—if any—you can cover. Most importantly, confirm when the deposit becomes exposed and have the offer wording reviewed for South African practice.
 
That helps. I’ll submit ZAR 19,796,000 with financing proof, flexible completion and a reasonable response deadline. I won’t imply that 17 days means the listing is stale. Before signing, I’ll request the lease, rent and cost information, insist that the agent identify the proposed waiver in writing, and keep inspection and funding-related protection rather than competing blindly.
 
Back
Top