If mortgage rates fall, will competition simply push prices up at €694,600?

WideRoof

Property investor
Established
What surprised me was that waiting for cheaper borrowing may not reduce the total cost at all. If lower rates bring more buyers back while supply stays tight, a €694,600 property could become more expensive even if the mortgage rate falls below today’s 3.95%.

I can afford the purchase at the current rate, but I do not want to justify it with assumptions about refinancing or future resale gains. I am already testing the payment at a higher reset rate and adding arrangement fees and early-repayment charges.

Would you also compare scenarios based on the likely holding period and whether the loan can be moved to another property? My central assumption may be too focused on buyer competition; rates could remain where they are while prices and supply behave quite differently.
 
I would test the purchase without assuming either falling rates or rising prices. Can the monthly payment still fit comfortably after ordinary ownership costs, and could you cope with a higher payment at the first rate reset? If the answer depends on refinancing onto a better deal, the purchase is already too reliant on an outcome you cannot control.
 
Also compare the cost over the period you realistically expect to keep the initial loan, not just the headline rate. Arrangement fees can make a seemingly cheaper offer more expensive, especially if you refinance quickly. Add any early-repayment charge to the same comparison.
 
Two missing details matter: what loan-to-value would you have, and how long do you expect to own the property? A larger deposit may improve your refinancing options, while a short ownership period makes transaction costs and resale price much more important. The fixed or variable period at 3.95% also changes the rate-reset risk.
 
I would challenge the premise that cheaper finance automatically means a higher local price. Demand may strengthen, but sellers and inventory can change too. Waiting is still a market bet, but buying now is also a bet that this particular property is worth €694,600. Assess that price independently of the mortgage decision.
 
Make two side-by-side cash-flow tables covering your likely comparison period. One is buying now at 3.95%, including arrangement fees and a conservative resale outcome. The other is waiting, including continued housing costs and a range of future purchase prices. Keep the future mortgage rate as a separate variable so you can see which assumption is driving the result.
 
Does the proposed loan have portability? It can be useful if you move before the deal ends, but I wouldn't treat it as a complete answer to resale risk. Porting may still depend on the lender accepting the next property, your finances at that time, and any extra borrowing required under the lender's then-current terms.
 
Portability is often given too much weight. Even where the loan says it is portable, that does not mean a future move is automatic. I would put more emphasis on the early-repayment terms and whether you could sell without the penalty materially reducing your equity.
 
Agreed on not relying on portability, but loan-to-value deserves equal attention. A weaker valuation at refinancing could leave you in a less favourable band even if market mortgage rates have fallen. Stress-test a flat resale value and a lower one, then ask whether you could reduce the balance or accept the available reset terms.
 
For monthly affordability, I would run the budget with no refinance at all: assume the current deal ends and the replacement payment is meaningfully higher. Then add a period of reduced household income or an expensive property repair. It is less about predicting the exact bad scenario than seeing whether one setback forces a sale.
 
Before deciding, ask for the full repayment schedule and all loan charges in writing, then identify the dates when early-repayment costs change or end. Rules and contract wording vary by jurisdiction, so clarify how overpayments, refinancing and porting actually work for this offer rather than relying on the general product description.
 
Thanks—this has changed how I'm framing it. I was treating “buy now versus wait” mainly as a rate forecast, when the bigger issue is whether the €694,600 purchase works without a favourable refinance or resale. I'll compare total costs over my likely holding period, get the fee and early-repayment details, and test both a higher reset payment and a weaker valuation before proceeding.
 
One final test: if rates fell shortly after completion but the property price stayed flat, would you still be content owning this property on the current loan until refinancing became practical? If yes, buying now may be defensible. If regret would immediately depend on escaping the mortgage, waiting or choosing a cheaper property provides more flexibility.
 
Back
Top