How much of a $41,000 post-closing buffer should I keep untouched?

SamCove

Buyer
$41,000 would remain if I paid about $720,000 for the 4-bed new-build flat in San Francisco. That figure looks reasonable on paper, but it has to cover the move, any urgent inspection findings and the costs that arrive soon after completion.

I’m trying to decide how much should be completely untouchable. I still need to confirm the service charges, insurance excess and timing of the first mortgage payment, and I could live with sparse furniture for a while. The inspection contains plenty of snagging and monitoring points, but I’m not yet clear which items could cause damage if delayed.

Would this leave enough margin, or is the safer decision to buy for less and keep a larger emergency reserve?
 
I’d work backwards rather than divide the $41,000 evenly. First ring-fence several months of mortgage, service charges and essential living costs. Add the insurance excess and confirm when the first mortgage payment is due. Then budget moving and only the inspection items that affect safety, water or further damage. Furniture comes last; empty rooms are inconvenient, but they are not emergencies.
 
What are the monthly service charges, and does the estimate include any one-off new-build charges? Those could change the comfort level more than the number of bedrooms. I’d also ask the inspector to separate urgent defects from monitoring notes and cosmetic snagging. A long report is not necessarily an expensive report.
 
I wouldn’t automatically preserve such a large emergency fund while postponing every repair. If an inspection item will worsen, fixing it promptly can protect the remaining buffer. The distinction I’d make is urgent versus merely visible, not repairs versus savings.

That said, I would delay most furniture and avoid committing the full $41,000 before the first mortgage payment, service charge and insurance amounts are confirmed.
 
Fair point. The practical next step is a simple list with three columns: amount known, amount estimated and timing. Put the mortgage payment, service charges, insurance excess and moving costs at the top. Then have the inspector clarify which findings need action now, within the first year, or only observation. Whatever remains after those commitments is the true emergency fund—not the headline $41,000.
 
Back
Top