$41,000 would remain if I paid about $720,000 for the 4-bed new-build flat in San Francisco. That figure looks reasonable on paper, but it has to cover the move, any urgent inspection findings and the costs that arrive soon after completion.
I’m trying to decide how much should be completely untouchable. I still need to confirm the service charges, insurance excess and timing of the first mortgage payment, and I could live with sparse furniture for a while. The inspection contains plenty of snagging and monitoring points, but I’m not yet clear which items could cause damage if delayed.
Would this leave enough margin, or is the safer decision to buy for less and keep a larger emergency reserve?
I’m trying to decide how much should be completely untouchable. I still need to confirm the service charges, insurance excess and timing of the first mortgage payment, and I could live with sparse furniture for a while. The inspection contains plenty of snagging and monitoring points, but I’m not yet clear which items could cause damage if delayed.
Would this leave enough margin, or is the safer decision to buy for less and keep a larger emergency reserve?