How far below ¥211.9m should I open on this Tokyo flat?

EliBell

First-time buyer
Offer too little and the seller may stop engaging; offer too much and I lose the benefit of the flat’s 100 days on the market. The Tokyo new-build one-bedroom is listed at ¥211,900,000, and some items will need attention. Current listings nearby support the asking level, but the evidence from actual transactions is thin.

I’m considering starting 8% lower, around ¥194.95m, backed by clean financing and flexibility over completion. Is that firm enough to be credible without giving away room to negotiate? I’d keep the explanation brief and retain only the protections that matter for financing, valuation, inspection and the deposit. I’m also unsure what response deadline would be reasonable.
 
After 100 days, 8% below is a defensible opening rather than an absurd one, but keep the explanation short. Say the offer reflects the limited completed-sale evidence and the cost of the required updating, then emphasise financing proof and flexibility on completion. Give the seller a clear, reasonable response deadline. I would retain financing, valuation and inspection protection unless you can comfortably absorb those risks.
 
Who is selling: the developer, an investor or someone who reserved it and is now exiting? Motivation could matter more than the 100 days. Also, what does “updating” mean on a new-build flat? Cosmetic choices support negotiation differently from unresolved defects or expensive fitted items.

I’d ask the agent for completed comparables, not another stack of current listings, and find out whether the seller values speed, certainty or price most.
 
I’m less convinced that 100 days alone justifies 8%. If comparable asking prices are close, the seller may simply counter near list, especially if there is no urgency. Lead with a clean number, not a detailed critique of the flat.

Also avoid demanding both the full discount and broad repair credits at the outset. Reserve inspection rights for material issues, then seek a specific credit only if something expensive is identified.
 
The offer should separate price from risk. Attach financing proof, state the flexible completion window and make the ¥194.95m figure unambiguous. Then list only the essential conditions: satisfactory financing, valuation and inspection, with clear wording on what happens to the deposit if one fails.

The appraisal gap is especially important. Decide before offering how much extra cash, if any, you would contribute if the lender values it below the agreed price. Have a Tokyo-based adviser confirm the deposit and withdrawal wording before money is transferred, because the consequences depend on the contract and local practice.
 
Luis’s point about the appraisal gap is the one I would settle first. An offer is not truly “clean” if the buyer has no plan for a low valuation. Set a private ceiling for additional cash and do not reveal it unless the valuation issue actually arises.

I’d still open at 8%, but expect a counter. If the seller moves, trade flexibility on completion before giving up inspection or financing protection. If completed comparables later support the price, you can increase deliberately rather than negotiating against yourself.
 
Back
Top