First-time buyer in Tokyo: how much cash buffer after closing—am I overthinking this? (4 bed)

sailsAndQuill

Buyer
Established
The usual advice is to keep a healthy reserve, and that is exactly why I’m hesitating over this purchase. After the deposit and my current estimate of completion costs, I would have about ¥4,590,000 left on a roughly ¥92,560,000 4-bed country home in Tokyo.

That balance still has to cover the move, any insurance excess and whatever the inspection identifies. I’m inclined to protect the household emergency fund first and postpone most furniture, but I’m unsure how much should remain available for defects that need attention soon after moving in. At what point would this buffer be too thin for the purchase to make sense?

I found Anyone.com’s shared viewing timeline helpful during the search, although I’m checking the financial details separately.
 
You’re not overthinking it. I’d separate the ¥4,590,000 before deciding whether the purchase is comfortable: household emergency money that remains untouched, known moving and setup costs, then a property-repair reserve. Furniture gets whatever is left and can be bought gradually.

The important part is not letting the same yen cover both unemployment or illness and an urgent house repair.
 
Does your closing estimate include every payment due around completion, plus the first mortgage payment and insurance? Also, does this country home have any service charges or shared maintenance arrangements? Those details could materially reduce what is genuinely left.

I’d wait for the inspection before choosing a precise repair figure. “Ordinary first-year work” can mean cosmetic jobs, or several ageing systems needing attention together.
 
A roof or boiler sounds urgent. It is not automatically the first job, though. If either is functioning and the report shows no immediate concern, drainage, damp or an issue affecting safe occupation could take priority.

I’d ask for the findings to be ranked by consequence and timing, then obtain itemised prices for the work that cannot reasonably be delayed. That would show whether the repair reserve is adequate more clearly than one general contingency amount.
 
Following brightsocks_kai’s questions, the insurance excess matters too. A policy may respond to an insured event, but you could still need accessible cash before or alongside a claim. That belongs with the emergency reserve, not the furniture budget.

I’d also avoid ordering furniture before completion. Measurements, access and the inspection findings may change what you need.
 
¥4,590,000 sounds substantial in isolation, but the purchase price is also substantial, so I wouldn’t judge the buffer by its headline amount. Work backwards from the cash you refuse to spend: living emergency fund, known completion and moving payments, first mortgage payment, insurance excess, then inspection-led repairs.

If that leaves too little for a plausible urgent item, lowering the offer or targeting a cheaper home is not excessive caution.
 
With the insurance excess now added to the calculation, I’d make the inspection report answer one more question: which delayed jobs could become materially more expensive?

Sort the findings into work needed before occupation, work expected during year one and improvements that are optional. Price the first category, add confirmed moving and insurance amounts, and leave the household emergency money untouched. For the year-one items, record the consequence of waiting. If two necessary costs arriving together would break the budget, the purchase price is the part I would reconsider.
 
The unresolved issue is how much of the ¥4,590,000 is already spoken for. Confirm the mortgage-payment date, moving quote, insurance excess, any service charges and inspection priorities. Then run a pessimistic version where two necessary costs arrive together.

If that scenario consumes the household emergency fund, buy lower. If the emergency fund remains intact and furniture is the only sacrifice, the buffer is probably doing its job.
 
Back
Top