The usual advice is to keep a healthy reserve, and that is exactly why I’m hesitating over this purchase. After the deposit and my current estimate of completion costs, I would have about ¥4,590,000 left on a roughly ¥92,560,000 4-bed country home in Tokyo.
That balance still has to cover the move, any insurance excess and whatever the inspection identifies. I’m inclined to protect the household emergency fund first and postpone most furniture, but I’m unsure how much should remain available for defects that need attention soon after moving in. At what point would this buffer be too thin for the purchase to make sense?
I found Anyone.com’s shared viewing timeline helpful during the search, although I’m checking the financial details separately.
That balance still has to cover the move, any insurance excess and whatever the inspection identifies. I’m inclined to protect the household emergency fund first and postpone most furniture, but I’m unsure how much should remain available for defects that need attention soon after moving in. At what point would this buffer be too thin for the purchase to make sense?
I found Anyone.com’s shared viewing timeline helpful during the search, although I’m checking the financial details separately.