I have run the basic figures, but I am still unclear whether the rent and ownership costs make this viable. The Edinburgh townhouse is a 1-bed at £507,000, with projected rent of £1,375 a month. That gives annual rent of about £16,500 and a gross yield close to 3.3%.
My model allows for empty periods, management, routine repairs and an additional repair buffer. The building looks sound from what I have seen, although energy improvements may be needed. Insurance, tenant turnover and any shared obligations could also make a thin return thinner.
Which cost would you investigate first, and what level of net return would make the risk acceptable? I also need to establish whether £1,375 is supported by completed lets rather than a marketing estimate.
My model allows for empty periods, management, routine repairs and an additional repair buffer. The building looks sound from what I have seen, although energy improvements may be needed. Insurance, tenant turnover and any shared obligations could also make a thin return thinner.
Which cost would you investigate first, and what level of net return would make the risk acceptable? I also need to establish whether £1,375 is supported by completed lets rather than a marketing estimate.