Edinburgh 1-bed townhouse at £507,000 and £1,375 rent: do the numbers work?

UmaLowe

Developer
Established
I have run the basic figures, but I am still unclear whether the rent and ownership costs make this viable. The Edinburgh townhouse is a 1-bed at £507,000, with projected rent of £1,375 a month. That gives annual rent of about £16,500 and a gross yield close to 3.3%.

My model allows for empty periods, management, routine repairs and an additional repair buffer. The building looks sound from what I have seen, although energy improvements may be needed. Insurance, tenant turnover and any shared obligations could also make a thin return thinner.

Which cost would you investigate first, and what level of net return would make the risk acceptable? I also need to establish whether £1,375 is supported by completed lets rather than a marketing estimate.
 
At 3.3% gross, ordinary costs do not need to be badly underestimated before the net cash flow becomes thin. I’d look closely at insurance, any shared-building obligations, periods when you cover property tax during vacancies, and energy-related work. Acquisition tax and financing costs also matter, although they sit outside the headline yield calculation. For me, this looks difficult to justify primarily as an income investment.
 
Is £1,375 based on comparable completed lets, or just the marketing estimate? Also, is the townhouse fully standalone, or does the title make it responsible for common areas or shared repairs? Those two answers could move the calculation more than tweaking the vacancy allowance.

The financing assumption is missing too. A modest net return before borrowing can become negative cash flow once interest is included.
 
I’m not sure there is one Edinburgh-specific cost that decides it. The bigger issue is the gap between price and rent. Even with no vacancy, annual rent is only £16,500 before management, maintenance, insurance and tax-related costs.

I would not choose a target net yield first and then force this property to meet it. Compare its likely net income with less concentrated alternatives and ask what you are being paid for tenant turnover, repair surprises and having £507,000 tied to one asset.
 
Before proceeding, get three things in writing: realistic rental comparables, an insurance indication based on the actual property, and an itemised schedule of known or anticipated repairs and shared liabilities. Then run a downside case with lower rent, a longer vacancy, higher management cost and the energy work occurring early. If it still needs optimistic appreciation to make sense, the rental numbers themselves have answered the question.
 
Back
Top