Dublin detached homes: is a 17-day marketing period meaningful?

BoldAtlas

Seller
Established
Founding Member
I have to settle on a method shortly, but I do not want an August 2024 snapshot to dictate the conclusion. My notes cover a narrow group of detached Dublin homes advertised between €982,600 and €1,474,000, with only about 17 days on the market so far.

Energy performance appears to separate the properties, though it may simply be reflecting their wider condition. My current thought is to use recent completed sales and the timing of any price cuts where enough local evidence exists. Where it does not, I would keep following this exact group through sale agreed, withdrawal or relisting rather than infer anything from the present average.

Does that two-part approach make more sense than treating 17 days as a market signal on its own?
 
I’d treat it as variation for now. Seventeen days says little without recent completed sales, the number of new listings and homes that were withdrawn. Keep the neighbourhood boundaries consistent too; detached stock in the same price band can still differ substantially by location and condition.
 
What exactly ends the 17-day clock: going sale agreed, disappearing from advertising, or simply the date of your observation? Relistings and price reductions could distort it. Energy performance may also be standing in for overall condition, especially where one house needs significant work and another does not.
 
Fair questions. The 17 days is a rough current marketing period, not a measure of how long completed transactions took, so I shouldn’t read it as a sale-speed figure. I’ll tighten the neighbourhood grouping and separate price-cut or relisting cases where they can be identified. Comparing energy performance with visible condition should also show whether it has an independent effect.
 
That makes it a useful snapshot, but not yet evidence of a turn. I’d continue the same sample for several weeks and note fresh listings, withdrawals and when reductions occur. Seller motivation matters as well: two similar homes can follow very different timelines if one seller is testing the market and another needs an agreement quickly.
 
I wouldn’t dismiss the observation entirely. At this price level, buyer financing and readiness to proceed can narrow the active pool, so a cluster moving quickly might still be informative. The stronger test is whether the same pattern appears in recent completed sales and whether well-rated homes outperform comparable properties after accounting for condition, location and initial asking price.
 
Misreading a short-lived cluster as a market change could lead to a poor pricing decision. What would change my view is knowing whether the 17 days ends at sale agreed, withdrawal or merely the observation date, and whether relisted homes keep their original start date.

Once that is clear, I’d keep the August 2024 sample fixed and log initial asking price, reductions, status changes, energy rating and broad condition. If the result persists across several tightly drawn Dublin neighbourhoods and is consistent with completed sales, it becomes harder to explain as seller motivation or financing readiness alone.
 
Back
Top