Does an “as-is” offer still preserve the inspection decision?

loft.balanced

First-time buyer
Established
We want to proceed at the agreed price without turning the inspection into a list of minor repair demands. The difficulty is that the seller seems to regard the “as-is” wording as preventing us from raising anything at all, despite a separate inspection condition.

Our understanding was that a serious finding could still lead us to withdraw, even if the seller refused further information or a price adjustment. There may also be a property tax issue, though I am not sure that falls within the inspection clause rather than the title checks. With the response deadline approaching, should we focus first on confirming our right to exit and any deposit exposure, then decide whether a conditional request is worth making?
 
Those provisions can do different jobs. “As-is” may tell the seller you will not renegotiate every defect, while a valid contingency may still provide a way to withdraw. It does not necessarily compel the seller to answer every question or grant a credit, though. The exact contract wording and deadline matter more than anyone’s idea of its “spirit.”
 
Also, what exactly is the property tax problem: unpaid amounts attached to the studio, an incorrect assessment, or concern about future liability? An inspection condition may focus on the physical property rather than tax or title matters. That distinction is worth putting to your Sydney conveyancer or solicitor now, rather than assuming the inspection wording covers it.
 
That is the missing distinction. The concern is not a repair item, so asking for a repair credit probably muddied our position. We are trying to establish whether there is an existing amount or classification issue and how it affects the purchase, not shift ordinary maintenance onto the seller.

The seller’s side has given us a short response deadline. We will ask our conveyancer which contract provision, if any, applies to this information and what happens to the deposit if we withdraw.
 
I would push back slightly on the idea that calling the offer as-is automatically fixes the price under every circumstance. If genuinely new information changes the value, you can still propose a lower price or credit; the seller can simply refuse. Your leverage then depends on whether you retain a clear right to walk away and whether the seller is motivated enough to renegotiate.

Compare completed sales, not asking prices, and adjust your ceiling for the unresolved issue.
 
Keep the issues in separate columns: physical inspection findings, the tax question, lender valuation, and contract deadlines. For each one, note what evidence you have, which clause might apply, and the last time for action. If financing is involved, confirm what proof the seller expects and whether your lender’s valuation could create a gap you would have to fund. A verbal reassurance is not a substitute for resolving the written position.
 
The deposit exposure would be my main reason not to improvise a threat to terminate. Get written guidance on the available options before the deadline, then choose among accepting as-is, requesting a price adjustment, or withdrawing if the contract actually permits it. A credit may also fail to solve a lender-valuation gap, so calculate the cash effect of each option rather than treating every concession as equivalent.
 
Back
Top