We offered on a five-bedroom apartment in Tokyo at an as-is price: the offer says we accept it in its present condition, but it also contains an inspection contingency. The seller now treats any request for information or a credit as contrary to the offer’s spirit.
I am not expecting routine repairs. My concern is whether we can still walk away if inspection reveals a major issue that changes the financing or total cost substantially. I know the wording, response deadline and local law matter. How would you separate the as-is price from inspection protection, appraisal risk and possible deposit exposure? Completed comparable sales near Tokyo would also be more useful than asking-price headlines.
I am not expecting routine repairs. My concern is whether we can still walk away if inspection reveals a major issue that changes the financing or total cost substantially. I know the wording, response deadline and local law matter. How would you separate the as-is price from inspection protection, appraisal risk and possible deposit exposure? Completed comparable sales near Tokyo would also be more useful than asking-price headlines.