Contingency and sequencing for a €157,900 Utrecht renovation

yard.steady

Homeowner
Established
The €157,900 ceiling is what makes the unknown service work more important than the finish specification. This is a 105 m² small multifamily property in Utrecht, with renovation planned across the kitchen, bathrooms, surfaces and energy performance but no addition to the building.

Flooring and paint can be reduced or postponed if prices rise. Electrical replacement, moisture repairs and opening walls to reach plumbing are much harder to leave unresolved once work begins. I am therefore considering a general reserve for ordinary variation plus separate allowances for those concealed risks. Would that be more useful than one contingency percentage? I would also like contractors to identify exclusions, material lead times and who pays for making good after service access—for example, whether an electrical quote includes reopening and finishing the affected walls.
 
My concern is less about finish choices and more about hidden conditions and sequencing. I’m unsure whether to keep one general contingency or separate allowances for electrical work, plumbing access and moisture-related repairs. I’d also like to avoid a low contractor figure that simply moves essential items into exclusions later.
 
At this stage I would carry roughly 15–20%, with the higher end if walls and floors have not been opened. Ask each contractor to state assumptions about electrical replacement, pipe access, substrate preparation, waste removal and making good after services. A percentage helps, but explicit allowances and exclusions tell you what can actually consume it.
 
Are the units vacant, and do the kitchens and bathrooms share service routes? Those answers could change the sequence substantially. I’d want the survey to look for moisture around wet areas and identify where plumbing can be reached without destroying finished rooms. Also ask whether the electrical figure is inspection-only or includes remedial work.
 
I wouldn’t automatically set 20% and consider the problem solved. On €157,900 that can conceal an underdeveloped scope. First compare quotations line by line and make contractors price access, protection, demolition, disposal and reinstatement separately. Then keep contingency for conditions nobody could reasonably define before opening up, rather than for items omitted from the quote.
 
Sequencing is probably the bigger risk here. Investigate moisture and service routes before ordering kitchens or laying floors. Complete disruptive electrical and plumbing work, then close walls, prepare surfaces, install fixed items, paint and finish flooring at the appropriate point. Ask the contractor for a room-by-room programme showing dependencies, not just start and completion dates.
 
The absence of an extension does not remove structural uncertainty. Moving services, opening floors or discovering damaged material can still affect the plan even if no structural work was intended. I’d ask the surveyor to flag anything that could turn a cosmetic opening-up into specialist work, while keeping that separate from speculative upgrades the contractor merely recommends.
 
Material lead times and permit timing should sit beside the construction sequence. Ask which selections must be fixed early, what alternatives are acceptable if delivery slips, and whether any part of the proposed work needs approval in this particular property. Utrecht requirements and the building’s circumstances matter, so get that confirmed before committing to dates.
 
A useful tender pack would include the same scope for every bidder, a schedule of exclusions, provisional amounts for unresolved electrical/plumbing work, and a written process for variations. I’d also request photographs before areas are closed and cost approval before extra work proceeds. After those responses, Ana can size the contingency around the remaining unknowns instead of choosing a percentage in isolation.
 
Back
Top