Contingency and hidden-condition checks for an 85 m² Dubai warehouse

far_finch

Homeowner
Before taking the warehouse further, I have to establish whether the AED 429,600 renovation allowance can survive an older building with concealed defects. The choice is between defining more of the work before appointment and preserving a substantial reserve for discoveries after opening up.

The 85 m² scheme adds kitchen and bathroom areas, renews finishes, tests the electrics and includes some energy improvements, but no extension. Accessible plumbing and sound drainage would keep that scope manageable. Difficult runs, moisture, old wiring or structural repairs could instead require extensive floor and wall work and disrupt the whole sequence.

What would you insist the surveys and tenders resolve before committing? I am also trying to size the contingency without ignoring permit timing and material lead times. If the services and structure can be properly investigated now, I would expect a tighter reserve; if access prevents that, more of the AED 429,600 needs to remain outside the main contract.
 
For an older building with concealed conditions, I would keep 15–20% outside the working contract sum: roughly AED 64,440–85,920. That is not permission to spend it. Ask bidders to list every exclusion, assumption and provisional allowance, especially for rewiring, distribution-board work, drainage alterations, waterproofing, demolition and making good.
 
Before settling on a percentage, what does “electrical checks” actually mean in the quotations? Inspection and testing is very different from replacing circuits once the kitchen and bathrooms add loads. I would also establish where the plumbing connections and drainage runs are. Poor access can turn a modest fit-out into extensive floor or wall opening.
 
I’m not convinced a larger contingency alone solves this. AED 429,600 is already about AED 5,054 per m², but that figure says little without a scope breakdown. A vague lump sum plus 20% can still fail quickly.

Request separate prices for demolition, electrical, plumbing, waterproofing, finishes and energy work. Also ask who pays for discoveries, redesign, permit-related changes, protection of existing areas and waste removal.
 
Sequence the investigation before locking in finish orders: inspect for moisture, test the electrical installation, trace plumbing and drainage, then make limited exploratory openings where the risks are highest. Only after that should the kitchen and bathroom layouts be frozen. Confirm permit timing with the relevant parties for this specific building and scope rather than assuming all approvals can run alongside construction.
 
Material lead times matter, but premature ordering can be worse. If investigation changes a wall build-up, floor level or service position, custom items may no longer fit. I’d ask each contractor for a simple programme showing investigation, approvals, first-fix services, waterproofing, testing and finishes, plus the decisions and materials required before each stage starts.
 
Back
Top