A one-year fix limits how long I am tied in, but it leaves me exposed to a rate reset quite soon. A longer commitment would give more certainty, yet could be expensive to leave. For a Dublin purchase at about €1,095,000, I have been quoted 4.57% fixed for 1 year.
The headline comparison became less clear once the fee structure and my loan-to-value band were applied. Should I judge this mainly by the monthly payment and balance after 12 months, or add every compulsory fee and compare the full first-year outlay? I could increase the deposit to test the next LTV tier, although that would reduce the cash I retain after completion. Portability and early-exit conditions matter too, because that flexibility would be difficult to recover once the mortgage is in place.
The headline comparison became less clear once the fee structure and my loan-to-value band were applied. Should I judge this mainly by the monthly payment and balance after 12 months, or add every compulsory fee and compare the full first-year outlay? I could increase the deposit to test the next LTV tier, although that would reduce the cash I retain after completion. Portability and early-exit conditions matter too, because that flexibility would be difficult to recover once the mortgage is in place.