Comparing a 4.57% one-year fixed mortgage in Dublin

alba.wood

First-time buyer
Established
A one-year fix limits how long I am tied in, but it leaves me exposed to a rate reset quite soon. A longer commitment would give more certainty, yet could be expensive to leave. For a Dublin purchase at about €1,095,000, I have been quoted 4.57% fixed for 1 year.

The headline comparison became less clear once the fee structure and my loan-to-value band were applied. Should I judge this mainly by the monthly payment and balance after 12 months, or add every compulsory fee and compare the full first-year outlay? I could increase the deposit to test the next LTV tier, although that would reduce the cash I retain after completion. Portability and early-exit conditions matter too, because that flexibility would be difficult to recover once the mortgage is in place.
 
For a one-year fix, I’d compare the cash cost over those 12 months: interest, mandatory fees and any fee added to the loan. Also compare the remaining balance after month 12, because equal monthly payments can hide small differences there. APR is useful context, but it may not match your likely timeline if you expect to refinance after the fixed period.
 
What loan amount are you actually taking, and how close are you to the next loan-to-value tier? On a purchase of €1,095,000, a slightly larger deposit could potentially change the quoted tier, but only you can test whether tying up that extra cash is worthwhile. Also ask whether the arrangement fee is paid upfront or added to the mortgage, since that affects both cash flow and interest.
 
I wouldn’t dismiss APR quite as quickly as mila does. A 12-month comparison can make a one-year fix look neat while quietly assuming that refinancing will be cheap and available next year. APR has limitations, especially where the later rate is based on assumptions, but it can expose a poor longer-term structure. I’d run both a one-year cash-cost comparison and a scenario where you cannot refinance immediately.
 
Monthly affordability at the reset matters more to me than shaving a little from year-one cost. Calculate the payment at 4.57%, then repeat it using a meaningfully higher rate after the first year. For portability and early repayment, ask the lenders to explain exactly what happens if you move, sell, overpay or refinance during the fixed period; similar labels do not always mean identical practical flexibility.
 
A spreadsheet should settle most of this. Give each lender columns for monthly payment, upfront cash, fees added to the balance, total paid in year one, interest charged, and balance remaining after 12 months. Then add separate rows for staying with the lender, refinancing, and selling early.

Kai’s caveat is important: don’t put a zero cost against refinancing unless you genuinely expect that. Once those figures are visible, portability and early-repayment restrictions can be treated as trade-offs rather than buried in the headline rate.
 
Back
Top