A lower headline rate with heavier fees and a higher rate with cleaner terms both leave me uncomfortable, because the cheaper choice changes with the comparison period. After 42 days I received a 2.68% quote, fixed for 20 years, for a Tokyo purchase of about ¥117,800,000. Its fee package and loan-to-value band made it less attractive than the advertisement suggested, and the competing lender used different assumptions in its illustration.
Should I rebuild both offers using identical payment dates and compare the cost over the period I am likely to keep the loan? APR gives one reference point, but it may not show the effect of an early exit. I also need to test whether the monthly payment is comfortable and what each lender means by portability and early repayment.
Should I rebuild both offers using identical payment dates and compare the cost over the period I am likely to keep the loan? APR gives one reference point, but it may not show the effect of an early exit. I also need to test whether the monthly payment is comfortable and what each lender means by portability and early repayment.