Comparing a 2.68% 20-year fixed mortgage quote in Tokyo

sailsAndQuill

Buyer
Established
A lower headline rate with heavier fees and a higher rate with cleaner terms both leave me uncomfortable, because the cheaper choice changes with the comparison period. After 42 days I received a 2.68% quote, fixed for 20 years, for a Tokyo purchase of about ¥117,800,000. Its fee package and loan-to-value band made it less attractive than the advertisement suggested, and the competing lender used different assumptions in its illustration.

Should I rebuild both offers using identical payment dates and compare the cost over the period I am likely to keep the loan? APR gives one reference point, but it may not show the effect of an early exit. I also need to test whether the monthly payment is comfortable and what each lender means by portability and early repayment.
 
Choosing on the 20-year illustration could be costly if you sell or repay much earlier. I would not assume the full fixed term is the right horizon until you have a realistic holding period.

Put both quotes on the same loan amount and payment schedule, then test at least an early-exit date and the full fixed period. For each case, include fees paid at the start, instalments, the remaining balance and any stated repayment cost. APR can be a useful cross-check, but only after confirming that both lenders calculate it from matching inputs.
 
One missing fact is your likely holding period. If you might sell or refinance well before year 20, the arrangement fee could matter more than a small rate difference. Also, does “portability” mean transferring the existing loan terms to another property, or simply applying again with the same lender? I would ask each lender to explain that scenario in writing.
 
I wouldn’t give too much weight to a refinance assumption. Future rates, valuation and eligibility are unknown, so a quote that looks attractive only because the model assumes an easy refinance may be misleading. Test whether the monthly payment remains comfortable without refinancing, and ask what happens after the fixed period if the balance is still outstanding.
 
A practical comparison sheet could have three scenarios: repay early, keep the loan for your expected ownership period, and retain it beyond the 20-year fixed period. Use identical timing and loan amounts, then list fees separately instead of burying them in the rate. For the final choice, confirm the early-repayment calculation, portability conditions and post-fix rate basis directly with each Japanese lender, as the wording can materially affect the outcome.
 
Back
Top