Chicago 3-bed at $1.38m and $5,272 rent: where does the yield go?

ben.cove

Property investor
At $1,380,000 against rent of $5,272 a month, the 4.6% gross yield leaves little room for an expensive assumption to be wrong. I’m looking at a 3-bed villa in Chicago, and the physical condition seems reasonable, but I have not yet pinned down the insurance cost or how financing would affect cash flow.

I have allowed for empty periods, management and ongoing upkeep. What vacancy assumption would be realistic here, and which figure usually needs the most property-specific checking: tax, insurance, or something else? I’d also be interested in the minimum net return others would accept with this narrow a starting margin.
 
Property tax is the first number I would pin down. At this purchase price, even a moderate difference between the figure in your model and the future bill can consume a meaningful part of an already narrow yield. Use the actual property details rather than a broad Chicago estimate, and leave room for the amount to change.
 
Also, is $5,272 an achieved rent from an existing tenant or an asking-rent estimate? That distinction matters as much as the expense assumptions. I’d want comparable leases for similar 3-bed properties, plus clarity on which utilities, exterior upkeep or other recurring costs fall to the owner.
 
I think the bigger issue is visible before getting into local cost details. Annual gross rent is $63,264 against a $1.38m purchase. Once any realistic expenses are deducted, the income return has limited room for surprises. Unless there is a separate reason for owning this particular property, I wouldn’t try to rescue the deal by fine-tuning vacancy or maintenance assumptions.
 
Can you post the model as annual line items? Gross rent, vacancy, management, tax, insurance, routine maintenance, major-repair reserve and any association charge should be separate. “Conservative” can hide mismatched assumptions—for example, a healthy repair reserve alongside only minimal tenant-turnover costs. Seeing the resulting net operating income would make the financing discussion much clearer.
 
Don’t let “the building looks sound” reduce the reserve too far. Condition today does not tell you when roofing, mechanical systems or exterior work will arrive, and those costs are uneven rather than conveniently annual. Insurance should be based on a quote for this property and intended rental use, not the seller’s payment or a generic calculator.
 
Tenant turnover deserves its own scenario rather than being folded entirely into vacancy. A change of tenant can combine empty time, cleaning, small repairs, marketing and management charges in the same period. Run one case with stable occupancy and another with a turnover; if one ordinary turnover wipes out the year’s cash flow, the margin is too thin.
 
I wouldn’t dismiss it solely because the gross yield is 4.6%, as Omar suggests. Financing level and the buyer’s objective matter. But the burden of proof is definitely on the deal: the rent needs solid support, and taxes and insurance need property-specific figures. Otherwise the apparent precision of $5,272 is doing more work than the evidence.
 
Financing could turn a modest operating return into negative cash flow. Stress-test the loan payment at the actual proposed terms, then repeat it with a higher renewal or refinancing cost if that is relevant to the loan structure. Keep principal repayment separate from operating expenses so you can distinguish cash flow from equity accumulation.
 
Before making an offer, I’d request the current tax bill, insurance information, lease history if any, utility responsibility, and records of major work. Then obtain independent rent evidence and an insurance quote. Model base, bad and severe years rather than one average year. The bad case should combine lower collected rent with a repair, because problems rarely respect separate spreadsheet rows.
 
There isn’t a universal net yield that compensates for this risk, but it should be compared with what the same $1.38m equity—or the planned down payment—could earn elsewhere with less concentration and work. I’d make the decision from verified net operating income, then apply financing. If the deal only looks acceptable when every uncertain input lands favorably, that is the sanity-check result.
 
Back
Top