Atlanta 4-bed villa at $1.175m and $7,639 rent — does the net yield work?

pebble.kind

Property investor
I can either take the 7.8% gross yield at face value or load the model with cautious assumptions, and neither approach feels reliable without better cost information. The property is a 4-bed Atlanta villa priced at $1,175,000, with expected rent of $7,639 a month.

The building looks sound, but the lease length and whether that rent is actually achievable could change the case. I’m allowing for management, empty periods, routine upkeep and major repairs. Should insurance or another recurring local expense be the bigger concern? I’m also interested in how others would judge an acceptable return once financing sensitivity is included.
 
The gross calculation is right: $7,639 over 12 months is $91,668, or roughly 7.8% of the purchase price. I would focus first on property tax and insurance because both can make the headline number misleading.
 
Is $7,639 an executed lease, the seller’s projection, or an asking rent? That distinction matters more than fine-tuning the vacancy percentage.
 
Get property-tax and insurance estimates tied to this exact address and intended rental use. Historical amounts may not represent what a new owner will actually pay, so I wouldn’t rely on the listing’s expense summary alone.
 
With a 4-bed property, tenant turnover could be lumpy. One vacancy may also bring cleaning, repairs, marketing and management charges together, not just a month without rent.
 
Financing sensitivity is the other big issue. Model the property unlevered first, then run your actual debt terms separately. A respectable net yield can still produce weak cash flow if borrowing is expensive.
 
I’m not convinced a longer lease automatically improves this. It reduces turnover risk, yes, but it can also lock in $7,639 if market rent or operating costs move against you.
 
Does the villa have an association, and are landscaping, utilities or furnishings included in rent? Those details could explain why the apparent yield looks unusually attractive.
 
Before choosing a required net yield, compare the rent with genuinely similar 4-bed properties nearby. If $7,639 depends on premium finishes or perfect occupancy, I’d underwrite a lower base rent.
 
How was the larger-repair reserve set? A flat percentage may miss concentrated exposure from the roof, heating and cooling, plumbing or appliances. Condition and remaining life matter more than purchase price there.
 
I’d also model the property tax from a fresh starting point rather than simply carrying forward the seller’s bill. The applicable treatment depends on the exact jurisdiction and circumstances, so verify it locally.
 
Management cost needs a scope, not just a percentage. Ask whether leasing, renewals, inspections, maintenance coordination and vacancy-period oversight are included or charged separately.
 
My stress case would combine lower rent, extra vacancy, a major repair and higher financing cost. Testing each item separately can hide the year when several problems arrive together.
 
At this price I’d personally want an unlevered net yield around 5% after recurring expenses and a realistic reserve. Below that, the margin between expected return and operational risk feels too narrow.
 
I’d push back on using 5% as a universal cutoff. A long, secure lease and strong property condition could justify less; uncertain rent and deferred maintenance could require much more.
 
Fair caveat. The important part is defining “net” consistently. I mean rent after vacancy, management, tax, insurance, routine maintenance and a normalized capital reserve, but before financing and income tax.
 
Don’t maximize rent at the expense of tenant stability. Dropping the assumed rent slightly may be worthwhile if it broadens the tenant pool and reduces repeated leasing costs.
 
I’d request the existing lease if there is one, payment history, recent operating expenses, repair records and current insurance details. Until the rent is verified, the 7.8% is marketing arithmetic.
 
Also ask whether the property will be delivered vacant or occupied. That affects both the reliability of the first year’s income and how soon your own leasing assumptions can be tested.
 
“Villa” may just be listing language, but clarify the legal property type and any shared obligations. An association charge or owner-maintained common element belongs in the recurring expenses.
 
Back
Top