Are Athens buyers negotiating more after 100 days on market?

RheaVoss

First-time buyer
A few Athens new-build flats I’m watching have now reached roughly 100 days on the market, which raises a new question about how much weight to give that number. Their asking prices sit between about €463,700 and €695,500.

I’m tempted to use the extended marketing period to support a lower bid, especially while financing costs are limiting some buyers. However, a seller with no urgency may simply wait, and relisting can make the timeline unreliable. What evidence would make you negotiate firmly here: an earlier reduction, weaker property condition, nearby completed sales or signs that the seller wants a quick deal?
 
I wouldn’t treat 100 days by itself as proof that a seller will negotiate. A listing can look stale while the seller remains in no hurry, and withdrawn or relisted stock can distort the timeline. The stronger clues are a price cut, competing new listings nearby and anything revealing seller motivation.
 
Which neighbourhoods are you comparing, and are the properties actually similar in condition and completion stage? Even a slightly different boundary can put two flats in different buyer pools. Also, are you financing the purchase? A lower offer with clearer funding may be received differently from the same number with unresolved financing.
 
I’d be less cautious than Freja. You don’t need certainty that a seller is motivated before testing a lower figure; you need a price you can justify and are willing to stand behind. The public asking history is useful context, but a completed sale is not automatically comparable unless the location, condition and timing are genuinely close.
 
Before offering, track each candidate separately: original asking price, later reductions, total visible days, any disappearance and relisting, and the volume of similar new listings within the same neighbourhood boundary. Then ask the agent why it remains available and whether the seller has rejected earlier offers. The answer may be vague, but the reaction can still tell you something.
 
One addition to my earlier list: decide your response before negotiations start. Set an opening figure, a maximum, and the conditions under which you would increase it. If financing is involved, confirm what you can actually proceed with first. That prevents a 100-day listing from pulling you upward simply because the seller counters confidently.
 
Back
Top