7.53% on a $375,000 purchase in New York — how should I compare quotes?

frame.grand

Mortgage adviser
Established
I added the lender charges to the figures, and now the quote I expected to be cheapest may not be. It is 7.53% fixed over 15 years for a New York purchase of about $375,000, with the final pricing affected by the loan-to-value band.

Should I compare the offers over the full term, or over a shorter period in case I move or refinance? The payment gap is fairly small, so I am also checking what each lender permits for extra payments, full repayment and portability. How would you value that flexibility without assuming refinancing will be available?
 
There are two reasonable comparisons here, and I would run both. A five- or seven-year view may favour the loan with lower upfront charges, while the full 15-year view may reward the lower rate.

Use the same assumed payoff date for every quote and include points, lender charges, interest paid and the balance still owed. Then repeat the calculation with no refinance at all. That shows whether the apparent saving depends on an uncertain future exit.
 
Is 7.53% the rate after paying points, and what loan-to-value tier are they using? Those details could explain why it differs from the advertised figure. I’d also confirm whether “15-year fixed” means a fully amortizing 15-year loan, rather than a longer loan with only the first 15 years fixed.
 
The shorter comparison is tempting because many borrowers expect to refinance, but that exit is not guaranteed. Rates, income or the property value could make a new loan unattractive when the time comes.

I would first decide whether the 7.53% payment remains comfortable for the full term. After that, compare earlier payoff dates and include any repayment charge. A future refinance can improve the result, but the purchase should not rely on it.
 
Separate the questions. First, can the monthly principal-and-interest payment remain comfortable alongside property taxes, insurance and maintenance? Second, which quote costs less for your likely timeline? Third, what flexibility are you buying with the more expensive option? A small monthly saving may not compensate for restrictive early-repayment language or large upfront fees.
 
On portability, ask the lender to explain exactly what they mean in writing rather than relying on the label. Does it apply to another property, depend on fresh approval, or simply not exist for this product? The same goes for early repayment: check whether extra principal payments, a full payoff, and refinancing are treated differently.
 
A simple comparison table should expose most of this: rate, APR, upfront lender charges, points if any, monthly principal and interest, cash required at closing, remaining balance at several plausible move or refinance dates, and any payoff restriction. Keep third-party purchase costs separate if they would be broadly similar whichever lender you choose.
 
Before deciding, ask each lender to reprice the same loan amount, down payment, term and lock timing. Otherwise the loan-to-value tier or fee structure can make the quotes look comparable when they aren’t. If the monthly gap remains small after that, I’d give more weight to lower unrecoverable fees and clearer repayment terms than to the headline rate alone.
 
Back
Top