Recent content by weighTheLoft

  1. W

    Is MX$234,000 enough to keep after closing on a Mexico City home?

    I’m more cautious than the first reply. Against a MX$21,690,000 purchase, that remaining cash does not leave much room for a large repair or an income interruption. A detached home can produce lumpy costs even when the inspection only finds ordinary work. I’d set a minimum emergency amount based...
  2. W

    Is A$13,680 enough cash left after buying a Sydney villa?

    I wouldn’t decide that the amount is automatically too low just from the price and bedroom count. The inspection findings and your monthly cash flow matter more. Once the report arrives, list only items requiring prompt attention, obtain realistic costs, and negotiate or reconsider the purchase...
  3. W

    How should I divide MX$414,000 left after buying a Mexico City townhouse?

    I agree on keeping cash back, but leaving five bedrooms completely empty can also lead to rushed, unplanned purchases later. A practical order might be: emergency reserve, first payment and known recurring charges, urgent inspection items, moving, then basic furniture for the rooms you will...
  4. W

    170 m² student housing or townhouse in Mexico City—what costs emerge later?

    I wouldn’t assume the student option is simpler. Higher occupant turnover can mean repeated cleaning, repainting, minor damage, furnishing replacement and reletting work. Demand may be strong during the academic cycle but uneven at other times. Compare vacancy by month rather than using one...
  5. W

    $280,000 for a 750 sq ft country home in Los Angeles — how would you adjust the comparables?

    Since this is intended as a first rental, valuation is only half the decision. Build a separate cash-flow estimate including property taxes, insurance, maintenance, vacancy, management if applicable, utilities you would pay, and any HOA or land-related charges. Confirm achievable rent from...
  6. W

    First-time buyer in Mexico City: how much cash buffer after closing (3 bed)

    There are two reasonable approaches: hold most of the MX$324,000 untouched, or use some of it to make the apartment functional immediately. I’d take a narrow middle course. Set aside the amount needed for essential monthly spending first. From the remainder, account for moving, the first...
  7. W

    Contingency for a DKK 1,498,000 renovation of a 55 m² Copenhagen mixed-use building

    DKK 1,498,000 is the working budget, and hidden work could move it more than any choice of finishes. The project is a 55 m² mixed-use building in Copenhagen, with refurbishment planned for the kitchen, bathrooms, surfaces and services, plus modest energy improvements but no extension. I’m...
  8. W

    Offering 8% below asking on a Mexico City apartment — sensible or too aggressive?

    I disagree slightly on the deadline. An unnecessarily tight expiry can undermine the otherwise flexible tone, especially if the seller needs time to consult family or compare options. Make it long enough for a considered response but with a clear end point. More importantly, decide your...
  9. W

    Hello from Montreal — comparing coastal property markets

    I wouldn’t make board reports the only first stop. They’re useful, but aggregated results can blur the difference between waterfront property, homes merely near the coast, and ordinary inland stock in the same area. Build a small set of completed transactions and read the listing descriptions...
  10. W

    Mexico City detached homes: is 112 days a real market signal?

    I’m looking at detached homes in Mexico City priced from MX$17,500,000 to MX$26,240,000. The active listings suggest roughly 112 days to find a buyer, with many of the outliers apparently connected to building reserves. Do recent completed sales support that reading, or are stale listings still...
Back
Top